Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
How to feed fish while on vacation?

Hey all,

I wanted to ask you guys how you feed your fish when you go away for a weekend or a vacation?

I know there are Disolving feeders for freshwater, but I havent seen any for saltwater.

Right now I feed frozen brine shrimp to our copper banded butterfly 3x a day.

Thanks for the help.

-TheChad

Old 01-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I go away for 2 days they do not get feed. If longer I have someone dump the previously prepareed food into the tank.

Quote:
Right now I feed frozen brine shrimp to our copper banded butterfly 3x a day.
At best I target fed my CB once a day. (only if I noticed him not eating well when I fed the tank). Buy it some frozed blood worms instead of brine. It will love you for it.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I'll let the tank go 3-4 days without feeding. Any more than that I prepare packets with food for a friend who can stop by and throw it in the tank. As I mostly feed blender mush I ask that they thaw it in some tank water first but who knows for sure. Time to hookup the web cam!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He Loves brine shrimp. He also eats mysis shrimp, but I think he likes the brine better.

He is not a problem eater.

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine never did not eat it just was not as aggressive as the others and got "short changed" sometimes. It will still love the blood worms.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
those dissolving things are crap. Best to not feed, or have a caretaker. A couple days won't kill your fish. Just add extra RO to bring the salinnity down a little when you leave, so the evap swing won't be too bad.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

We're going away next week. To prepare we've got automated feeders that will put food into the tanks on a daily basis (my tangs like to eat daily or they get nippy) and a friend will put frozen and nori in the tank a couple of times while I'm gone.

I've also prepared an auto topoff with the high/low sensors from autotopoff.com. I'll have a local reefer come by mid week and do a quick battery of tests to make sure that things haven't changed too dramatically while we're gone.

When I prepare food for the friend to put into the tank I always create the portions and have them labeled by tank and by day so that she knows what to put in when.

Then I cross my fingers and Pray for the best!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i do pretty much what everyone else does. To make it easier on the person feeding, while i'm gone i just have them feed flake and nori. If you dont have a tang then you wont need nori of course. I bag it individually and mark it. I feed good the day i leave, then I have my little helper feed every other day after that. I also use a float switch to auto top the tank while I am gone. That is something you need to think about as well.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've seen those Automatic feeders for Flake food.

Too bad all fish don't just eat flake food!

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I will be going to Germany for 11 days in April. I use a top as well but my top water container does not hold 11 days worth! LOL, I need a bigger one.

I might consider getting an auto feeder and just doing flake for the week. I only feed about 3-4 days out of the week so I think it will be ok. I am looking into a web cam to monitor things.

Think ahead for sure!

Tags
feed, vacation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com