How to feed my carpet anenome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive had this medium sized carpet anenome for about a month and ive been squirting frozen food into its mouth (doesnt really seem that its actually getting in) and it looks fine. It currently hosts my gold stripe maroon clownfish. I was wondering if there was any other way i should be feeding it. My LFS said i could even feed it by hand.

your clownfish is probably feeding it food and the your lighting should be enough.
what do u have for lighting, and what size is your tank?

I've noticed that mine will not always catch the small pieces of frozen, so I feed mine by hand - small diced pieces of shrimp. They digest food really slowly, so once or twice a week should do it.

I have never hand-fed any of my anemones. With good lighting it is not needed. They will also capture floating food in the water. I have never seen my clowns actually drop food in my anemones.

My clown seems more likely to steal food from the anemone than to actually feed it! I've never seen her take food to it. I do hand feed my bubble, but more because I'm hoping for an increased growth rate so that it can get big enough to handle my clownfish :). If you're not looking for it to grow faster and you already have decent lighting there's no need to feed it. If you do want to feed it just laying the food on the tentacles should be enough. It should be able to handle the eating from there.

Ahh! there is the problem, you are thinking like a land dweller, or at least a land dweller on two legs. Think about feeding more like you best friend, old Fido has no problem coming along and eating something that his other little friends ate earlier. That is also one of the main ways a Clown will feed an anemone, POOP! So yes, the fish may bring something for its host, but mostly it will give pieces that fall as it eats and then it will give it the food when it is done with it. Combine those factors and strong lighting and you should be good, that is unless you want to increase the growth rate.

Back
Top Bottom