how to feed mysis shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stradt03

Aquarium Advice Regular
how do you feed mysis shrimp? I got some the other day and it is just a big solid block. I'm thinking I need to cube it but where do i go from there? do i just drop it in and let if defrost?

help please.

Jason

well, I get my myssis in frozen cube form also, but my cubes are very small. What I do, is I rinse the cube in RO/DI water first, then set it in a spoon to defrost. I then soak it in either garlic or selcon (I alternate). After about five minutes or so, I crush it up with a fork if it's still hard.

Then, feed it to the fish...they love it.

The only other thing is that if your cube is huge, you could just cut part of it off with a sharp knife and basically just do the same thing.

I put my cubes in a small glass of RO water in the fridge a day before, then warm it up before feeding.

I feed mysid to my seahorses. I've used the cube type (preferred) and the block type. Just break off a small piece and thaw it. I thaw mine in RO/DI water, like mentioned and then drain. Draining is important, the water they come in is full of phosphates, not something you want to add to the tank. I use a brine shrimp net to drain my shrimp.

Feeding frozen mysis and brine

We buy our mysis and brine frozen in either small cubes or a thick sheet looking thing about as big as a regular piece of paper. I take a little bowl and put some tank water in it, just a very small amount. Then I put the piece of frozen shrimp in it to defrost (about the size of a dime). If it's a cube I half it. When it is almost defrosted I drain it and mix what's left with a fork to make sure it's all broken up. Then I add it to the tank. I feed once a day or once every other day in the evening before the lights go out in the tank.

DJ

Back
Top Bottom