How To Frag Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyH5512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First, please let me apologize, I am sure this is answered here somewhere...

Thankfully, my tank is becoming overgrown with coral. I am thinking about fragging some zoa's, a German Blue Digitata and a green Monti. Can anyone give any tips on the best way to do it without stressing them too much (what tools, etc)? Since the zoas are not hard like the others, do I need to cut them? I am aware of the toxins they contain, which is why I ask. TIA.

Andy

Does the person who answers this post get some of the frags free of charge? Hehe. Just kidding of course.

Anytime you frag, you should do it outside of your tank, so get a bucket of tank water to keep next to you that you can put the coral in and put it back into after you've super glued your frags.

The zoos, I'd just get a razor blade and cut what you can of the fleshy area, then maybe a small chisel to break away some of the rock. Dunno how easy it'd be, depending on what they are attached to already.

With the sps corals, a bone cutter or some type of poulty shear might be your best bet. Or, even better, using a wet saw if you have one. Something strong that will make a nice clean cut would be preferred. Then just glue one side of it to a piece of rubble or buy some reef plugs and you're all done.

If you search the forums for "fragging" you should come up with a few threads that will show you some of the supplies used and methods. I know I've done a few, and quite a few other members have too.

HTH

I agree just take them out of the tank and they will be OK out for a few minutes while you frag them. Super glue gel works real nice as far as attaching them to rock. I`ve done a leather before.

OK, thanks alot. I am more concerned with the zoa's since I really dont want to "cut" them. I guess that's just me being cautious about my inhabitants well being.

AndyH5512 said:
OK, thanks alot. I am more concerned with the zoa's since I really dont want to "cut" them. I guess that's just me being cautious about my inhabitants well being.

You can always just place a rock right next to the zoos and let them spread naturally. But if you cut out of water, leave them out of the tank for a while (in your bucket of water that you'll have set aside) you'll be fine. If you want to be extra safe, make sure you are skimming well and add some AC.

Thanks. I have placed rubble next to most of my zoo colonies. The issue I have with that is they stick quite well, and I feel as if I am going to hurt them when I use enough pull to separate them. Again, I am probably too concerned about hurting them.

Just pull them apart. It will tear but they will be fine. I let them grow off the rock in the sand and then I can just tear them off and glue the small piece to a new rock. It is a good idea to wear glove when dealing with zoos as well.

As for most SPS, I just snap a piece with my finger or I use some titanium side cutters I got from the local Bass Pro shop. Some LPS might require bigger tools like a wet saw but acros and montis can normally be fragged easy enough.

The zoos I'd frag outside of the system, but the SPS I typically just plunge the bone cutters into the tank and snap the branch off that I'm looking to frag. Caps are VERY fragile and tend to shatter rather than break clean when using bone cutters so I'd be inclined to use a dremel tool with a diamond wheel for fragging those.

Back
Top Bottom