How to get my clowns to host torch coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, i have had these two ocellaris clowns and a green torch coral for 3 months, the clowns never even go near the torch but everyone else always hangs around it and my starry blenny even perchs on the one of the heads, it has 4 heads btw. Is there any way i can get the clowns to host it? Thanks

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink comes to mind. The anemone would host the clown & not the clown hosting an anemone. Only time will tell if it happens but dont count on it.

you can't make a clown host anything
if it wants to host it in time it will but there is no guarantee it will
it's basically a hit or miss

It took over 5 months before my clowns go into my rbtas. Plus a torch is not a normal hosting plant for clownfish. But in time they might. My very first pair of clownfish hosted a heater I got scated they would get burned by it so I had to put it behind some rocks to keep them off of it.

I have a 8 inch tall and 5 inch wide glass I use for coral fragging. The walls keep the water flow next to nothing so the corals do not get blown around and guess what... that's what my clowns decided to host. At the moment they feel more secure in there than any of the other corals or rocks I have. Lol

A torch coral is very different than an anemone. The clownfish/anemone relationship is symbiotic, whereas a clown/coral relationship typically isn't..... There are cases where it works out, but more often than not the coral will be irritated having a clown constantly brushing through it.

Last edited:
A torch coral is very different than an anemone. The clownfish/anemone relationship is symbiotic, whereas a clown/coral relationship typically isn't..... There are cases where it works out, but more often than not the coral will be irritated having a clown constantly brushing through it.

Oh ok, what are some easy anenomes to care for? And ones that have the hoghest chance of hosting oc clowns?

What kind of lights are you running? Nems require very high lighting (even typically higher than most SPS) and a well established tank.

What kind of lights are you running? Nems require very high lighting (even typically higher than most SPS) and a well established tank.

Two coral life 10,000k actinic blue, 2 10,000k actinic white T5s i think, i sill check later tonight

Two coral life 10,000k actinic blue, 2 10,000k actinic white T5s i think, i sill check later tonight

I had the same lights on my 37g bow front than I upgraded to the chinese leds
since the florescent 's just didn't cut it for my sps
talk about night and day ,
I kept the forecents for my feeder/breeder tank that I also grow my macros in

I recently lost the 37g bf tank as a rock busted out the bottom thank god I had a few smaller tanks to house my livestock and coral that I was able to save
I'm waiting for petcos $1. a gal sale so I can pick up another 40b
my friends wife works there and said they expect another sale by mid Nov

My 40b is thriving with those same leds that tank supports mostly sps but has some lps and softies and a nem I'm about to 86 since it ate 2 of my prize fish
thinking of getting a fox coral to replace the nem

That's definitely not enough light to keep a nem. Plus, unless you've got the proper set-up & know what you're doing, IMO the pitfalls of keeping nems outweigh the cool factor of having one.

-First, there is no guarantee that your clown will take to it..... it could just as easily take to your powerhead instead, and clowns certainly don't need them to live out a very happy life.
-Migrating nems can be a hazard to just about everything else in your tank..... corals, inverts, other fish.......
-Many new nem keepers can have them for months & think they are perfectly healthy, when in fact they are dying from the inside out and don't realize it, only to wake up one morning with a nuked tank when it finally gives up the ghost.

That's definitely not enough light to keep a nem. Plus, unless you've got the proper set-up & know what you're doing, IMO the pitfalls of keeping nems outweigh the cool factor of having one.

-First, there is no guarantee that your clown will take to it..... it could just as easily take to your powerhead instead, and clowns certainly don't need them to live out a very happy life.
-Migrating nems can be a hazard to just about everything else in your tank..... corals, inverts, other fish.......
-Many new nem keepers can have them for months & think they are perfectly healthy, when in fact they are dying from the inside out and don't realize it, only to wake up one morning with a nuked tank when it finally gives up the ghost.

Wow, they are beautiful but such a trouble! Guess thats a dream then lol

They usually won't host a torch and that's a good thing, the torch won't tolerate it. Try some waving hand soft corals, mine love hosting in it and the coral cares less.

my maroon clown hosts my torc
it seems to tolerate the clown just fine half the time i can't find the clown as he buries himself so far into the torch lol
I keep trying to get a pict but every-time he sees me he comes out before I can snap a pict
but I"ll keep trying

Back
Top Bottom