how to get my porcupine puffer to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chapin874

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a porcupine puffer a couple of days ago and I have tried to feed it chopped krill and brine shrimp but it doesnt seem to care for it. I was just wonderin if he still might be in shock in my tank or is it a real problem

Was the fish eating at the LFS?? If so, what were they feeding it?

It is possible it is still stressed about the transfer, you also need to keep an eye on it for ick, puffers are very prone to ick infestation.

The puffer I had, either had poor eyesite or a very focused attention span. He knew when I was coming up to the tank to feed him, but unless the krill practically fall in front of is face, he ignored it. If he saw it, however, he attacked it as if it had called him a dirty name. :)

Hey, try putting some Garlic extreme in some frozen food or freeze dried Krill and that should work. Also, they are slow swimmers, let me know if you have tangs, Wrasses or triggers that can possibly out compete him for the food that falls in the tank. 0X

I would also try pieces of fresh shrimp or squid, or if it is a very small puffer mysis shrimp.

They are big eaters, so if it doesn't even look interested in food it may be a problem. Mine has the same issues as BillyZ, if it isn't focused on the food it normally will drop right by it without it ever seeing it.

Shrimp and squid is definitely a good idea. Some puffer take up to a week to get use to their new environment. Try a feeding stick or a wooden kabob stick and wiggle it near the top of the tank.

Glad to hear it.

Hope he has plenty of room to grow! Mine got fairly large before he lost his fight with the filter intake :cry:

my puffer does nothing but eat. he loves flake food. im worried about my tang cuz the puffer eats everything in sight. he ate my sabae and percula clowns.

Back
Top Bottom