How to get rid of cyno?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJFly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a cyano problem. The stuff is spreading on everything. I've cut back feeding and changed the water at a by-weekly rate. I don't know what other options I have... I hate to cut the lights back as I have clams, SPS, and anemones (Ritteri and Rose).

Any suggestions on a cure for cyano? :?

You can start by increasing circulation, use RO or DI water for all topoffs/water changes and make sure your bulbs haven't passed their useful life. Siphon out as much as you can and give it some time. If you still have excess nutrients introducing some macro algae in the system may outcompete the bad stuff.

What is your PO4 level? That more often than not is the #1 cause.

Cheers
Steve

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone got any opinions about the Chemi-clean stuff? I know it's a chemical and I usually try to stay away from them but my phosphates are good and my lights are brand new. I change 10 to 15 percent of my water every monday night and I only feed every other day cause I've got plenty of pods and algae. I don't use filtered water but our city does not add phosphate and I use Prime for my water.

Chemicals are not solutions as you most likely already know. They in most cases simpley mask the problem, they do not eliminate it.

electrikat said:
I don't use filtered water but our city does not add phosphate and I use Prime for my water.
Prime will have no affect on PO4 and Water management dept. do not add phosphates. They are naturally occuring mostly from ground water contamination. For the most part there are certain acceptable levels of organic and inorganic PO4 in drinking water. Organic will not register on a test kit and could easily be the issue.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom