How to get rid of fireworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

survivinglove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This evening, I had fed some shrimp to the tank inhabitants...and a piece ebcame lodged under a piece of rock. Later, I saw a red furry worm curling around the piece of shrimp, eating.

It is lovely, but I fear it is harming one of my corals.

From what I've seen ont eh internet it looks exactly like a *bearded fireworm* similar to the one shown below:

bristle.jpg

I have also found that my little xenia frag has been doing rather poorly and looks like its being eaten...I assume it is this worm.

Anyone have any idea on how to get rid of them?

Thanks.

If u are sure it is a fireworm which sometimes can be harmful vs. a bristol worm which is actually beneficial, there are a few things u can try.

turn the lights off and put a large piece of krill or shrimp in a spot where u think he may be wait a little and see if he has come to investigate the tasty morsel and capture him with a net. Otherwise u may have to by a trap. They are readily available online.

I caught one in my tank a few weeks ago. It looked just like your photo and rather long. I tried initially placing some food at the spots where he hang around, but catching him proved to be more challenging since he moves pretty swiftly.

In the end I used a fish trap with a pin hole at one end, and placed a few pieces of shrimps at other end. I then placed the trap near his hiding place, left it over night with the lights out and next morning he was trapped. It only took one night.

However, I did tried to use a smaller trap before without success. I think the problem was because the worm was so long that he didn't have to go all the way into the trap to get his food. So he was able to get out easier. Hence I decided to use a bigger trap which did the job.

Back
Top Bottom