How to get rid of nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my all together my 90 gallon saltwater system is going through the cycle and there is no ammonia or nitrite, but 40 ppm of nitrate. I did slightly less than 50% of a water change and a day later the results did not change. The salinity,pH and temp. are in check if that effects anything. Wondering if I gradually do smaller water changes in the future until the nitrates disappear or wait or....? :dance: :thanks:

So youre cycling as in your tank is new? How did you cycle? Is you have decaying food or a shrimp in the tank you will have to remove it to stoo your nitrates from being priduced. If you have fish you may be over feeding. Your nitrates have a source, find that source to stop them. Water changes will take the nitrates out but if you have lots of waste (food and poo) making them constantly theyll come back. Tell us more about what you have going..

Animal-Chin said:
So youre cycling as in your tank is new? How did you cycle? Is you have decaying food or a shrimp in the tank you will have to remove it to stoo your nitrates from being priduced. If you have fish you may be over feeding. Your nitrates have a source, find that source to stop them. Water changes will take the nitrates out but if you have lots of waste (food and poo) making them constantly theyll come back. Tell us more about what you have going..

Refugium - chaeto

Yes it is new, and I used neither of those methods. I did fishless cycling and dropped the right amount of ammonia in the aquarium (I repeated this process 4 times until the ammonia and nitrite dropped to 0 ppm within 24 hrs). So there is no product from the fish decaying, etc. The rock and sand aren't live and there are no fish, inverts, macro algae, nothing, just a bare tank and the bacteria. I do know that chaeto can help lower nitrates, but that might not solve the problem as a whole. The nitrates should have dropped down a little, don't you think? I really don't know how often to do the water changes in the beginning as I don't want to take out too much and kill that bacteria and having to cycle over again or have an ammonia spike or something. Any more advice would be awesome! Thanks :)

If you're using canister filter - clean it. Where did you get your sand and rocks? There could be some dead organisms there that are still decomposing and giving you nitrates. Wait a few more days and wait till your nitrates level does not increase anymore and do a major water change. I'm assuming that the water you are using for your water changes are good though.

Unless you use something like a macro algae to remove the nitrates or do a PWC , nitrates are the end result in the whole cycle ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate , unless there is something in you tank to use the nitrates like a ball of cheato , they will stay in you tank. Another option is a de-nitrating canister.

But once you have nitrates they will be there in the water until consumed as a food source by algae

Canister cleaning is a way to prevent nitrates from building up , but it will not remove it from the water

Best way to control nitrates is to macro algae as stated before cheato being one of the best to keep

Also clams consume nitrates .

Hope this makes sense.

crister13 said:
What type of clams?

All clams really , but they require stable water conditions or they may be in for a rough time. I would wait until you have you water changes down pat , that will be a risky time for them , if you not up to par on that aspect.

Some clams I've seen sold as " cleaner " clams specifically for the purpose of removing nitrates. I have a corca ( I think that's right ) type . Nice and blue , not vry big for 35$ . But I got it after like 4 months. Also clams will need good light and the rule of thumb is the brighter the clam the better the light

Cheato would be a better option to start with

I know about the lighting. Are you talking about a crocea clam?? Never knew they ate nitrates though. That's pretty cool.

These clams do filter the water a bit, but not that efficiently. I too have one and I appreciate all the help he offers. :)

You can change 100 % of your water as long as your rock and sand does not dry out the bacti will survive just make sure the SG and temp match the old water

Back
Top Bottom