how to get rid of this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fonzi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is there a way to get ride of this?

Attachments

• IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMAG0123.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 108
Looks like hair algae, certain CUC takes care of that.

Other people have also turned off the lights for a couple days and that works too. I'm not too sure on this method so maybe someone more advance can chime in

thanks, what type of cuc specifically?

Turning off the lights for a couple days does help. Or even just reducing the light to a couple hours a day until you see progress. Are you using tap water? The hair algae is there due to excess nutrients, usually found in tap water or heavy bio load.. Use of RO water helps alot. As far as cuc, Astraea Snails are phenomenal HA eaters. Also hermits or emerald crabs will cut and eat it..

How old are your bulbs? When mine got close to a year I had hair and turf algae changed the bulbs, scrubed the rocks down and it has not come back yet been 2 months

It is best to find the source of the algae and fix that. The first being is as bavass said lights are the first thing to look at, how old are they? Then look at the types of food you are feeding and the amount. The filter system as well, bio balls can be a nitrate trap. Those are probably the 2 biggest source of nitrates and phosphates.

How old is your tank?
How old are your lights?
What type of food are you feeding?
How often and big are your water changes?

Back
Top Bottom