How to get rid of this stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is a pic from my buddy's tank. Hes got this algae growing out of control. This was actually a dried dead piece of coral, you cant even see it anymore. What would be the best way to get rid of the stuff?

Attachments

• Photo_852A3051-A7F1-815D-3D6F-7350AE26F04A.jpg
    Photo_852A3051-A7F1-815D-3D6F-7350AE26F04A.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 137
what are his parameters? If you fix the problem that is causing the algae it will go away. So do water changes and then if he really wants it gone you can use algaefix marine but that doesnt fix the problem it just makes the algae go away for a little but if you fix the problem well your dosing algaefix it shouldnt come back

I wouldn't use algaefix a friend of mine did and all it did was make it go away for while. Manual removal, water changes and find the source.

Do as above,when you do a pwc if you use a 1/2" hose to syphon the water out I would position the hose so some of the algae gets pulled into the hose and then put your finger over the hose opening to trap the algae and then pull it off and it will go straight into the hose and out of the tank

if thats on a dead piece of coral, take that piece out and boil it in water to kill the algae for good, then you could put it back into the tank. Most likely a nitrate problem, do lots of water changes and look for overfeeding as that may be the cause.

Back
Top Bottom