How to get rid of xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased a coral that had a few stalks of some xenia on it. This stuff is like a weed!! I've actually taken scissors to it and it comes back! This is what has happened to the 3 tiny stalks of xenia......It's covering up several of my other corals and I just ordered another clam that I want to put on this lr and the stinking xenia will cover it up too. How do I get rid of this weed?

img_882099_0_bfa0a0e87cd8ed286b288335a1f45d44.jpg

I can't pull the rock out of the tank (my derasa clam has attached himself to the rock). I just cut back these xenia 2 weeks ago. I thought I did a good enough job that they wouldn't come back.....WRONG

img_882099_1_022057101a930286230aac6f001225b1.jpg

If you lived closer I would come and take it off your hands :)

Ugh! I'd be happy just to get rid of it! I've even thought of just getting rid of the liverock that it's growing on just to get rid of it....but the rock is huge.

I might just end up pruning it regularly unless someone here has a solution.

:-|

You could cut it off and frag it and sell it to your LFS. There are alot of folks that want that stuff. I agree it`s like a weed. It will take over the tank if you let it.

Last week I purchased a frag of (Clavularia sp.) which is what is in the link that Ziggy left. Mine have a very bright green center. Since the day after I bought it I have been concerned about it taking over my tank and growing over sps etc. The LFS told me that it is way slower grower than xenia. I hope somebody has a solution for Msbeanctr, I may be in the same situation soon. As for now it is only 3-heads and I put it on a small rock on my sand bed not touching other rocks.

I would cut it back as far as you can and then take a real stiff bristled brush to what is left. siphon out what your taking off as you go. Make sure that there is no tissue left or it will just grow back again. The brush should help to tear it off your LR

I would cut it back as far as you can and then take a real stiff bristled brush to what is left. siphon out what your taking off as you go. Make sure that there is no tissue left or it will just grow back again. The brush should help to tear it off your LR

This is a good idea but one thing I would change is to take the rock out of the tank and do it in a bucket of tank water so you can just throw the water out. Might kind of throw the tank into a small cycle if left in the tank but it is a good idea Pat.

This is a good idea but one thing I would change is to take the rock out of the tank and do it in a bucket of tank water so you can just throw the water out. Might kind of throw the tank into a small cycle if left in the tank but it is a good idea Pat.

Yeah i only suggested that because i thought she said her clam was attached to the rock. Melosu is right though if there is any way to take it out or even put it in another container temporaily that would be a good idea. When i cut back my xenia is puts out a bunch of nasty stuff that you wouldn't want leeching back into your water.

If you can get an extra set of hands and do it when your ready for a water change you can get someone to hold the siphon tube right next to where your working and it will suck away at least 90% of all that stuff and it won't be as bad if your dying to get rid of the stuff. That is what i do when i'm trying to get rid of the darn bubble algae in my tank in case of those little things pop.

Looks like anthelia. AKA the plague..lol

anthelia-frag.jpg

It grows on a mat. Get your fingernail under the mat and peel it off. If you don't get the entire thing, it will grow back.

I think pat8you had part of the solution......for the rock with the clam....as for the other rock I'll try to 'peel' it off and see if I can get it that way.

Thank you all very, very much for the info.

Yeah, I have a big patch of growing on the largest rock in my tank. I prune it regulary but it then pops up in other places. You can never get it all it seems.

You can try injecting of few of the stalks with small portions of kalk and/or vinegar and see what happens, just like you would with aiptasia.

You can try injecting of few of the stalks with small portions of kalk and/or vinegar and see what happens, just like you would with aiptasia.

I was thinking of trying that....but I think I'll just prune it next to the clam. If I would have known that stuff grows like mad I certainly would have re-considered it!

cut it off as close as you can and then take some epoxy and cover up whats left. This might work but that stuff is very resilient!

cut it off as close as you can and then take some epoxy and cover up whats left. This might work but that stuff is very resilient!

I might end up doing that. I'm going to pull out the two pieces of liverock that they've overtaken and take a stiff brush to them. I've managed to dislodge the clam so both pieces of rock can come up.

Darn xenia!!

I sort of agree as I have this stuff growing every where in my frag tank. I do pay for all of my supplies with xenia money though. At least anything the LFS has :)

Back
Top Bottom