Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Vanphyre Send a message via AIM to Vanphyre
How to get some Color

Man, I tried posting a picture and it gave me some sqll error and lost my entire post. So here goes again. 8O

We finally have our tank setup how we like it after about 3 months of work and patience. It is a 46g tank with a little over 60lbs live rock, some live sand, T-5 Nova Extreme 36" lighting, etc. Slowly adding more critters to take care of the algae mess, don't want to add too many and have some starve.

Our question is how do you get so much color on the Live Rocks? We love how our live rock looks (shape, arrangement, size), but it is lacking in the color department. Did everyone start this way and the Coral is what adds the color? What would be some good corals to start with? Do they grow / multiply or do we need to buy enough to cover all of the live rock?

Thanks for the help, again we are having a blast with this hobby!

S&J

Attempting one more time to insert a picture....

Old 02-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It takes time for coralline algae to cover your rocks. First of all, I'm pretty sure that you have to have some, even just a little, in your tank. If you have some on your rocks, that's enough. If not you could always get some scraped off for you from a LFS. I've read that certain lighting helps the growth and I know that supplementing with calcium will help immensely. But I'd be careful about dosing your tank with anything. If your tank is new, just have patience...

Old 02-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

As Reese said all you need is a start of coralline and with proper water care and light it will grow like crazy. That is if you are talking about the purples, pinks, etc you see on most peoples rocks.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
some is starting to grow on mine that didnt have any when i first started up my tank
Old 02-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Vanphyre Send a message via AIM to Vanphyre
Thank you much for the responses, I will look into further water care such as calcium supplements and such. I think my lighting is good, it has a parabolic reflector, protective splash lens, Slimpaq 460nm Actinic and 10000°K T-5 HO lamps (2 of each), and 3 moonlight LEDs.

Yep, purples, pinks, and such would be a great start!
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
RO/DI Water Changes 10% a week
Vanphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

For starters, go out to the LFS and see if you can find a couple nice pieces of LR that have good color to them. Add them to the tank and give it some time. Dosing CA may be in order just make sure you know your baseline levels BEFORE you add anything to the tank.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I'm glad you love your rock! I like the way you have it set up too! I have a few rocks that I purchased already cured from a LFS, and after 1 month, they are lighting up like a Christmas tree! All kinds of purples and greens.

If you could get a piece or 2 of rock pre-cured from your LFS with some purples and greens, then you could put that somewhere in your arrangement, and as has been mentioned, it will slowly spread to all your other rocks!

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Best tips I can give are to blow the rock off with a turkey baster once a week. I use SeaChem's Reef Advantage Calciuma and Reef Builder to manage the alk, calc, mag, strontium in balance.

Coralline algae can grow under even low light like that with NO lights.

I do a partial water change once a week maintaining good water quality. Before long the spores from some of the live rock will spread and the purple will appear.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to dankent
turkey baster ... good idea .. gonna try that myself
Old 02-13-2006, 05:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
How big of a water change do you do?

Tags
color

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com