How to get your clownfish to live in your anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had my clownfish with my anemones for months. They have never took to any of them. However, something tragic happened tonight.

My bicolor dottyback decided he was a murderer. He attacked my clownfish until he couldn't swim anymore. The clownfish would've been dead if my kole tang didn't guard the clownfish. I came to look at the tank at the perfect time. I scared the dottyback away from my clownfish. The clownfish swims up to my frag rack and tries to host in my acans and zoas. I grab my net and bring him over to my GBTA. I made sure I didn't force him into the anemone. I didn't want him to get eaten. He slowly layed down in the anemone, breathing heavy.

And about an hour later, he is swimming happily in the depths of the anemone, where the dottyback can't get to him.

Morale of the story, you have to give your clownfish a reason to go in the anemone. Hopefully you don't go about it like this. But you might be able to simulate the same thing, with less stress on the fish. But I feel like that is morally wrong.

I don't condone stressing your fish out. I just thought this was a story worth sharing.

I'm not sure what the point of this post was? This is not a good way at all to do this. A clown will choose a host if it wants to do so, not because it's forced...I had a clown for yrs that was perfectly happy without a host.....even when it had several options.

Happy to hear your clownfish escaped the assault though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure what the point of this post was? This is not a good way at all to do this. A clown will choose a host if it wants to do so, not because it's forced...I had a clown for yrs that was perfectly happy without a host.....even when it had several options.

Happy to hear your clownfish escaped the assault though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That last sentence says the point of this thread :ermm: ... I thought it was a story worth sharing. And if you read the story, you would realize it wasn't forced to choose a host. It tried to use acans and zoas. And when guided to the anemone he swam right in, after never even glacing at before.

However, this morning I woke up and the anemone was closed up and the clown is gone. I assume it died.

That last sentence says the point of this thread :ermm: ... I thought it was a story worth sharing. And if you read the story, you would realize it wasn't forced to choose a host. It tried to use acans and zoas. And when guided to the anemone he swam right in, after never even glacing at before.

However, this morning I woke up and the anemone was closed up and the clown is gone. I assume it died.

The anemone ate your clownfish !!!!

The anemone ate your clownfish !!!!

I highly doubt it. I was worried at first. But when I went to bed, he was swimming and doing normal clownfish-anemone things.

This morning, he wasn't closed like he usually is while eating. He was deflated.

If you ever had clowns that like to nip at anemones, thats what it looked like. I'm assuming he annoyed the anemone and the anemone closed. Leaving him exposed to get attacked again.

I believe it was my dottyback that killed my past fish. Attempting to get him out now.

I highly doubt it. I was worried at first. But when I went to bed, he was swimming and doing normal clownfish-anemone things.

This morning, he wasn't closed like he usually is while eating. He was deflated.

If you ever had clowns that like to nip at anemones, thats what it looked like. I'm assuming he annoyed the anemone and the anemone closed. Leaving him exposed to get attacked again.

I believe it was my dottyback that killed my past fish. Attempting to get him out now.

Clowns are called clowns not for nothing, they do clowns things lol...

My female sometime decide to annoy my biggest torch... When torch enough annoyed (closed), the clown go annoy the frogspawn, when it's close, it go on my other mini torch... Then he go back to his usual spot, near a powerhead :p

My female like to "sleep" reverse side (I mean, the belly on the water surface like a dead fish), while the other clown sleep head down, on a black sillicon joint.

When they see me taking the food pot, they start swimming everywhere looking at it...

They I put my hands in the water, it's a bite for almost sure...

Strange fishs aren't them ?

Back
Top Bottom