Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
How to keep a refugium in show tank

Well I found the perfect tank for a sump under my tank. Even better the tank is set up as a sump. My only problem is that the guys wo have it dont want to sell it and they are saltwater retailers that deal out of their garage. Ok since I cant get that sump I have been considering an in tank refugium to help lower nitrates and phospates. I have a 36gal corner bow front and was thinking about making some kind of screen to hold macro algea in the back corner of the tank. Here are some pics of my tank, I am looking for the best method of keeping macro algea in the show tank "since I dont have a sump" without looking too bulky in the tank.

ps: I have been considering either a cilinder black screen in the back corner with maro algea in it. Or I might just have to go with the CPR in tank refugium.
CPR CITR In-Tank Refugium
let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0628001628.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	24376   Click image for larger version

Name:	0628001628b.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	24377  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0701001642.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	24378   Click image for larger version

Name:	0628001628c.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	24379  

mistaflicksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How much room do yuo have between the tank and the walls?

Maybe something like the CPR Aquafuge would work for you.

I hope you realize that the blue tang does not belong in that small of a tank. Please take it back to the lfs for something smaller or store credit, or otherwise get is a proper (6' long tank) home.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Agreed with cmor on the tang issue. Its just not fair, even if the fish is small now, you can be stunting his growth, which has serious health ramifications on the fish.

Why wont they sell you the sump? Do you have pictures or measurements of it? Acrylic is pretty easy to work with after some research, you could build it yourself.
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
That in-tank fuge doesn't look that hard to make. Honestly, it just seems like an acrylic box with holes on either side, a pump on one of the sides to push water through the algae/LR, and suction cups on the back to hold it in place. If you can't do that for whatever reason, just do as Jimbo said and get the specifics on the sump, and try to build your own. +2 on the tang though, they're very popular, someone who has a big enough tank for it will most likely want it.
kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for the sump advice I will do research on acrylic and try to build it myself. they dont want to sell me the sump because they are setting up a 75 gal that they want to use it on.

About the tang, I know that my tank is to small for it. I have a deal with my fish guy. when he gets something that is too tiny and customers dont want it I get to put it in my tank for about a month so it can fatten up and grow a little. Then I take it back to him. Ive done this with three tangs already. The one in the pic is just about ready to go. I have another 1 inch tang in my 10gal QT being treated for ich. once the one in my tank is gone the smaller one will go in my tank for a little while. What I get in return for doing this is my lifestock @ cost which is usually half of what you would pay for lifestock.
mistaflicksta is offline   Reply With Quote

refugium, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com