How to keep a refugium in show tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mistaflicksta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I found the perfect tank for a sump under my tank. Even better the tank is set up as a sump. My only problem is that the guys wo have it dont want to sell it and they are saltwater retailers that deal out of their garage. Ok since I cant get that sump I have been considering an in tank refugium to help lower nitrates and phospates. I have a 36gal corner bow front and was thinking about making some kind of screen to hold macro algea in the back corner of the tank. Here are some pics of my tank, I am looking for the best method of keeping macro algea in the show tank "since I dont have a sump" without looking too bulky in the tank.

ps: I have been considering either a cilinder black screen in the back corner with maro algea in it. Or I might just have to go with the CPR in tank refugium.
CPR CITR In-Tank Refugium
let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 0628001628.jpg
    0628001628.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 0628001628b.jpg
    0628001628b.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 0701001642.jpg
    0701001642.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 0628001628c.jpg
    0628001628c.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 156
How much room do yuo have between the tank and the walls?

Maybe something like the CPR Aquafuge would work for you.

I hope you realize that the blue tang does not belong in that small of a tank. Please take it back to the lfs for something smaller or store credit, or otherwise get is a proper (6' long tank) home.

Agreed with cmor on the tang issue. Its just not fair, even if the fish is small now, you can be stunting his growth, which has serious health ramifications on the fish.

Why wont they sell you the sump? Do you have pictures or measurements of it? Acrylic is pretty easy to work with after some research, you could build it yourself.

That in-tank fuge doesn't look that hard to make. Honestly, it just seems like an acrylic box with holes on either side, a pump on one of the sides to push water through the algae/LR, and suction cups on the back to hold it in place. If you can't do that for whatever reason, just do as Jimbo said and get the specifics on the sump, and try to build your own. +2 on the tang though, they're very popular, someone who has a big enough tank for it will most likely want it.

Thanks for the sump advice I will do research on acrylic and try to build it myself. they dont want to sell me the sump because they are setting up a 75 gal that they want to use it on.

About the tang, I know that my tank is to small for it. I have a deal with my fish guy. when he gets something that is too tiny and customers dont want it I get to put it in my tank for about a month so it can fatten up and grow a little. Then I take it back to him. Ive done this with three tangs already. The one in the pic is just about ready to go. I have another 1 inch tang in my 10gal QT being treated for ich. once the one in my tank is gone the smaller one will go in my tank for a little while. What I get in return for doing this is my lifestock @ cost which is usually half of what you would pay for lifestock.

Back
Top Bottom