How to keep an Octopus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've been reading a lot about keeping these guys. I'd like to go with some sort of pygmy or one that stays on the "small" side. I would be setting up a new tank for it and not put it my reef tank. Do you any of you have any experience with one of these creatures? Any advice?

No personal experience but the biggest area of concern I have read is making sure you have a very tight fitting lid that locks down. I have read of many stories of octopus crawling out of a tank, even with a normal lid, and the owner finding them dried out on the floor yards away from the tank.

Had a roommate who kept one, and they're actually not that difficult.... but Fort is right, they are escape artists the likes of which you've never met!!! The only solid part of their body is their beak (relatively small), and if that will fit through an opening, they will get through.

So I've been reading a lot about keeping these guys. I'd like to go with some sort of pygmy or one that stays on the "small" side. I would be setting up a new tank for it and not put it my reef tank. Do you any of you have any experience with one of these creatures? Any advice?

I kept one many years ago. It was a fascinating creature. But for the love of all things holy DO NOT SCARE THEM. I had to keep mine in a separate from because if he got scared or threatened I was panicking because he could've inked. Water changes were tricky but I got a hold of it quickly. And you can't really change your rock or scoop out anything. They are very curious creatures and very funny!

My parents use to keep them when I was younger mind you I'm 30, but they kept getti g out and we would find them dried up behind the tank all the time!

They don't like the feel of filter media ( cheap white stuff) or scotch brights so you can use that where ever you need to to keep them in the tank. They are nocturnal so a real good moon light is wanted at least in beginning till they are used to their new home so you are able to see it. No bright lights. I wouldn't do a ton of live rock in tank you'll never see it. A real good cave for its den. Heard people have good luck with like a snapple bottle for them to hide in, maybe cause they can't see you while you can still see them? Also bright colored toys??? Don't know why

Pics are of my brothers mimic octopus they are short lived but extremely awesome. I've never owned one but he had two and a friend just got one his is unknown species and prob 3-4 inches at full spread. They are smart. Smart enough to learn to open a container to get at food. Skull pic is mimic holding a ping pong ball over its den opening

Attachments

• image-208096458.jpg
    image-208096458.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 127
  • image-528977736.jpg
    image-528977736.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1760368838.jpg
    image-1760368838.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1459282636.jpg
    image-1459282636.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1705871723.jpg
    image-1705871723.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3626318273.jpg
    image-3626318273.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 130
If you do it keep postin I'm following. I love octopus just don't have room for another tank just yet! Annnnnd I have to convince the wife that we neeeeed one. Lol

Back
Top Bottom