Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

how to keep corals alive for 48hrs on the road?

the title says it all. due to the location of my home and the nearest reputable lfs, all corals that i get need to stay in a cooler for about 48hrs before getting into my actual tank. in the past, i have had some success in putting each coral(mainly softies and lps) in their own separate bags and fill the cooler with water and temperature controlled by a heater. but i have had the worst experience with SPS. those sps usually bleach or peel away. i know some online retailers sell sps and i wonder what their trick is. what is the best way to keep a sps alive while on the road?

1) would putting the sps in a bigger bag help?
2) what about the oxygen level in the bag?

any advice is appreciated.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would use a battery operated air pump and put an air stone in a container with the corals to provide water circulation.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Why not just order off a website and get over night shipping? Sps are way to sensitive for this IME.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

have the pet shop overnight them to you once you get home plus they would be insured via fed ex
Old 06-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

48 hours is hard with sps, but doable depending on how sensitive the sps is. I had 2 send 2 day air. The milli didn't make it, but the setosa did. The key is more water to supply as much oxygen as possible...but to drive that far makes it harder to control the light and temp in your car. Just try to get them shipped. If not, there are many sites with good summer deals going right now that should fit the bill I'd think.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i do think about just ordering them online and what-not, but seeing is believing. sometimes the colors of the corals just aren't the same in person vs pictures. also i like the idea of picking out the biggest frag among the frags. furthermore, this LFS is really reputable and known in state that i'm in. it doesn't make sense to buy a $50 coral and then pay another $30-$40 for overnight shipping.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That's why I buy two 50 dollar corals to get 'free' shipping.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
That's why I buy two 50 dollar corals to get 'free' shipping.
from where?
Old 06-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

how to keep corals alive for 48hrs on the road?

If it takes you 2 days to drive to and from this lfs aren't you using $35 in gas?

Edit: most online retailers give doa reimbursement and some have 2 week guarantees
Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
If it takes you 2 days to drive to and from this lfs aren't you using $35 in gas?

Edit: most online retailers give doa reimbursement and some have 2 week guarantees
there's actually a personal reason why it takes about 48 hrs from the moment when i purchase the coral to when i place them in my tank. but most of the time, it's actually just corals sitting in my GF's room until i head back to my own place, which is far away from hers.

i have tried one of the online retailers from Florida and i can't believe how i was treated. i got an email from them that they can no longer do business with me because i have had so many troubles with them from corals dead within hrs of in my tank to website glitch that caused my order to disappear.

Tags
coral, corals, live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com