how to kill cyno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nerite snails eat cyano if you can find them, but from my experience, they aren't very hearty. :? Have you exhausted every other suggestion? RO water, increased water flow, shortened light cycle, lowering nitrates and phosphates..... ?

Flow is a big thing. Putting higher flowing pumps in my tank stopped my cyano in it's tracks. I haven't had a problem since.

Nate

increased flow, good skimmer, good water changing habits, watch for over feeding.

if all that fails, get a phosphate removing compound, or a phosphate reactor $$$

Phosphate reactors cost like $40 or so. All they do is (supposedly) make better contact with the phosphate chemicals, rather than just adding the chemical without one. Supposedly better to use the chemical with a reactor than by itself.

I have cyano too, and slight phosphates (Not even .1, just barely a trace change in color)

I dont know what is causing it.

>I dont know what is causing it.<

the clogged filter media I mentioned to you yesterday most likely

It wasnt clogged, its more of gunked up. With fish poop I guess.

How would this cause this?

fish waste causes the nitrate....read up on the nitrogen cycle articles we have.

zacdl, if your filter media is gunked up, clean it. this is common sense...keep the tank clean to avoid nitrate/phosphate problems.

also, please don't hijack threads. this is greatgman's thread on his cyano problems.

The only thing I did to kill my cyano was to increase water flow with more pumps and switch to RO/DI water, It takes time for it to die off but the coralline will eventually out compete it if you take away the nutrients and phosphates

cd5 the best thing you did was switch to ro/DI water...

If your showing any PO4 you have enough for cyno to grow. Figure that the cyno is using po4 to live so you won't pick up what it is using. You need to get it to 0 if you still have cnyo. I battled this stuff on and off for a year and it only went away when i added a phosban reactor and got all new ro/di filters. I ran phosban in the bag in my sump for months and it did nothing till I got a reactor....
Good luck with the battle..

I ended up getting Boyd's Chemi Clean to cleanit up. Then I noticed that it was time to replace my PC lights. One treatment of Chemi Cledan, One water change, new bulbs, No more cyano.

Back
Top Bottom