How to kill rock with a running tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have hydroids in my tank and i read it can take 6months to 5 years for them to go away...I want to remove the rock, kill it and recycle it. The issue is...my tank is running with fish in it and so I need to keep the tank running. Is there a way for me to do this in a good way? I have a 40g tank cycled and ready for some of the fish but not everything can go in the 40g I wouldn't think.

Stock list:
2 clowns
sailfin tang (tiny)
midis blenny
royal gramma
3 blue green chromis
marine betta
yellow watchman

Plan?:
Remove half the rock and bake it in the sun then bleach, rinse, then put in sun again.
Put the rock into a 20g container and cure it.
Then remove the rest of the rock and do that same thing. then put it all back in the tank.

I just dont know how to keep my fish healthy and what not during this whole event...

Whats the best way to kill my rock?

I have hydroids and want to remove all my rocks and kill everything then restart the system. I cannot have a reef tank without corals so I need to do something. Whats the best way to wipe out EVERYTHING and get this rock back together again? How should i clean my rock to kill everything? then should I just put it back in there and cycle it?

why can't you take half the rock out, kill it, cure it and take the other half out while putting the newly cured rock back in?

That should be good. As far as killing live rock! I wouldn't know. Sounds like a good plan that you have.

I had them before I didn't know what they were! I dip them in fresh water for 15min waited a hour and they just scraped right off.no harm to lr or pylops they are no more.

I had them before I didn't know what they were! I dip them in fresh water for 15min waited a hour and they just scraped right off.no harm to lr or pylops they are no more.

well there are no joke around 300 in my tank so I need a mass cure I cant be battling them for years to come.

Fresh water dip is considered one of the last resorts in removing parasites or unwanted pest.unless its a quick dip. Placing the rocks with them in fw for 15 min should kill them then scrape them off.You can even hold the section of rock that doesn't have them on it to preserve the life that on it.better then killing everything unless one is covered to much then cure it.You will win this battle.

well I dont have the type of Hydroids you are thinking of. mine are digitate hydroids they are very tiny strings that retract into the rock, freshwater dips dont work, high temps (Up to 95Degrees) dont work, hypo salinity doesnt work. they can pretty much survive anything except baking in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom