How to lower my nitrate readings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rnb62679

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there just wondering what is the best way to keep nitrate levels low? I have a 50gal tank with fish and live rocks. I am not sure what the ideal level should be but I tested it today and it is at 40ppm.

Water changes are simplest and least expensive. If you are having an ongoing problem I would consider my experience with my 29 gal FOWLR. I was reading slightly elevated nitrate levels consistantly and cut my feedings to once a day. The levels now are 0.00 consistantly and the fish still seem happy and well fed they just graze more.

Yes I will definitely change the water since it is time, and I will continue to check and if its still high i will cut down on the food to once a day as now I am feeding them twice a day. Thanks!

I didn't know 0.0 nitrAte levels were possible.

My well water hovers around 30.

Are you talking about nitrAtes or nitrItes?

I didn't know 0.0 nitrAte levels were possible.

My well water hovers around 30.

Are you talking about nitrAtes or nitrItes?

Nitrates: Well I guess I should have said my AP test kit cannot detect the levels the vast majority of the time in my tank. I imagine not being an expert that some nitrate is present just not detectible. The only time I have detected nitrate levels my test kit can read is after the initial stocking of this tank and during its cycle.

My apologies if I was misleading.

Thank you, my nitrate level was at 40 so hopefully with a water change it drops a bit, I was told not to do anything at the moment as the water change will bring it down to where it will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom