How to lower nitrate in nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcs401

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I own a 24g jbj nano led, all levels are fine except my nitrate and nitrite spike at times. I only have two fish with about 11 corals , mostly soft (yellow polyps,frog spawn,Zoe's, leather lobed, etc) I am wondering if there are any tricks to keeping a nano water levels more stable. I use chemi pure elite with filter floss in 1st chamber, nano skimmer and live rock in second and a maxi jet 1200 return pump in third. Any info advice would help. Attached is a pic. I been away for business for about a 10 days so excuse the dirtiness.

image-1388725817.jpg

I'd focus more on nitrite spikes. That's a more serious problem I believe. What are the readings of each during a typical "spike".

Jcs401 said:
I own a 24g jbj nano led, all levels are fine except my nitrate and nitrite spike at times. I only have two fish with about 11 corals , mostly soft (yellow polyps,frog spawn,Zoe's, leather lobed, etc) I am wondering if there are any tricks to keeping a nano water levels more stable. I use chemi pure elite with filter floss in 1st chamber, nano skimmer and live rock in second and a maxi jet 1200 return pump in third. Any info advice would help. Attached is a pic. I been away for business for about a 10 days so excuse the dirtiness.

I heard clams take care if nitrate

How often do you do water changes? That's certainly the easiest way to lower them quickly with a small tank. Adding purigen along with the chemi pure elite might also help.

You shouldn't really be getting any nitrite if you have fully cured live rock.

I'd also suggest looking at your water changes. Also are you topping up with RODI water when the water evaporates?

if you do 5% wc start doing 10% that will help bring them down and keep up on the schedule on a weekly basis
adding chemicals only mask the problem
find the cause and correct it

Back
Top Bottom