How To Maintain Quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I placed my fish with marine velvet into my cycled 20 gallon quarantine tank a week ago. Just tested for ammonia and there are amounts of it in the tank! So I did a 20% wc just a couple of hours ago. I re-added the amount of copper recommended back into the tank. My question is, how do I treat my sick fish with copper when the tank keeps creating ammonia? The copper is killing the beneficial bacteria and therefore there isn't anything to eat it up. How do I keep my fish alive while treating them when ammonia is present? Is wc the only answer? I would have to do it everyday! Also I need to keep my display tank fishless for about 2 months, how do I keep up with keeping my fish in the quarantine alive? So confused and need a lot of advice please! How do you run your quarantines? How do you keep the fish alive and treat them at the same time without the ammonia killing them?

So I placed my fish with marine velvet into my cycled 20 gallon quarantine tank a week ago. Just tested for ammonia and there are amounts of it in the tank! So I did a 20% wc just a couple of hours ago. I re-added the amount of copper recommended back into the tank. My question is, how do I treat my sick fish with copper when the tank keeps creating ammonia? The copper is killing the beneficial bacteria and therefore there isn't anything to eat it up. How do I keep my fish alive while treating them when ammonia is present? Is wc the only answer? I would have to do it everyday! Also I need to keep my display tank fishless for about 2 months, how do I keep up with keeping my fish in the quarantine alive? So confused and need a lot of advice please! How do you run your quarantines? How do you keep the fish alive and treat them at the same time without the ammonia killing them?

Yup, just keep up with your water changes! I'm dealing with the same thing. It sucks, but you'll never make the same mistake again lol

I would say you could use prime or some ammonia detoxifier but with some types of copper it will make it toxic (I know it does this with cupramine, not sure about others)

Prime removes metals. So if you add prime it will remove copper.. We just found this out at our pet store.. Had a hard time keeping copper levels up. We have been priming all the water... Until now.... Haha

Just to get a little technical, Prime takes what is in your tap water, as long as its not too much, in other words, they have a set standard amount and they follow basically a tap water chart and what the DEP, DEC, Heath dept, local water company's etc use. Now that's not saying that it is magic in a bottle. If tap levels are higher then normal range then Prime will not be able to "precipitate the concentration" therefor leaving trace amounts of metals etc in the tank.

Assuming your levels are all within the "allowed" range then yes Prime will neutralize some metals and as they(Seachem)states it will precipitate the concentration making it less toxic.

This is from the from there tech support team. Just passing along some info I have gathered over the years of using Prime.

Thank you. Our quarantine tank we have been treating with copper and the levels are always low.. Come to find out about the prime. We stopped using it for that tank and copper levels are were we want them..

Back
Top Bottom