How to make algae grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would love to add a coral beauty or flame angel to my tank. I understand that they need live rock for grazing and I have lots of live rock but my rock has little to no algae on it with the exception of 1 rock. My rocks are completely covered in coraline. Is there a way to make good algae grow so I can have a coral beauty? Or will a coral beauty eat meat if algae is not present?

according to liveaquaria.com about coral beauty diet:

"The diet of the Coral Beauty Angelfish should consist of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, and other quality meaty foods."

Why not just use a high quality sheet algae? I would think that if you encouraged algae growth in your tank now, you may be regretting it when it gets out of control later.

Does anyone have a coral beauty? Do they require a large source of algae?

I had a Coral Beauty for a little over 2 years and he ate frozen mysis, cyclopeeze and flake foods. So I'm positive you're little guy will be fine and I agree about not want'n the alge in the tank, you may regret it in the long run. you'll be fine feed'n it whatever yo feed you're other fish.

I have a coral beauty and she love meaty foods. Sure she'll pick all day on the rocks but his main source comes from feeding time.

I'll give you some of my algae ... Would you like the hair kind?

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I wasn't aware that a coral beauty's diet could consist of meat and such. Thank you for all the help. Now I can have one and my tank can remain algae free :)

Back
Top Bottom