Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2006, 12:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

So maybe for me then, just to add some crushed coral and as much live rock as possible would be okay. I'd add the live rock to the cc, cycle, let it stabilize, mature, and add fish. I'm guessing that would add fauna to the cc and make it 'live sand'????

Old 01-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #12
steve-s

Yes, the rock will seed the substrate making it "live" in short order. You can add as much LR as you like (or LR/base rock) in order to get an amount that is pleasing to you and at the same time being a good bacterial filter. I would however not suggest CC as your substrate, oolitic aragonite is a much better choice.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Aragonite is better? What's oolitic aragonite and where can you get it?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
steve-s

If you're lucky enough, many types of playsand are aragonite and quite cheap. Might be sparse at this time a year though, better availability in the summer, check at HD or other similar large chain stores. You can test the sand for aragonite with regular white table vinegar. Place a small amount of sand in a bowl and add a few tblspn of vinegar. If the sand fizzles, it's aragonite. If not it's silica. Ooltic is just a fancy word for small round and calcerous which is prefered in a marine set up over that of silica which is flat, sharp edged and inert.

If you cannot find the aragonite cheaply at the hardware stores, the LFS will most definately have it as will e-tailers. Just stick with the dry stuff, not the wet "waste of money" products. My personal preference is Caribsea's Aragamax select.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info- have you ever used or heard of the tahitian moon sand?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
steve-s

Tahitian moon sand is a non aragonite black sand (synthetic). Not exactly sure what it's made from but my guess is silica based. Some love the look of it but if you want first hand experience, I would suggest you ask Hara. I believe she has some in one of her many tanks.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd like to have a couple of small blennies and gobies hopping around on my live rock. What type of species are the best to chose, and what type of aragonite works best?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I should add that i am talking about the substrate as these fish sift through the sand...
Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #19
steve-s

What size of tank? There are actually few if any sand sifting Blennioid that would be considered healthy additions. Most do not fair well for the simple reason the average tank cannot keep up with their overall nutritional needs even if accepting prepared foods. It a decision that should be researched carefully, please do not impulse buy.

As for the aragonite, something on the smaller side is best IME. Really depends on the depth your looking for. My preference is about 1-1½" so I chose 1.2 mm and smaller. The deeper you get (not my preference or recommendation) the more controlled the grain size you will want. The shallower it is the less important but with the finer sands, the more likely it will aid in denitrification at shallower depth.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

So tanks with finer sands should have a shallower depth, and larger sized aragonite can have a deeper depth? Are there any suitable blennies for 33-75g home aquarium (undecided)? What about gobies? Sorry for the large number of questions in this posting...

Tags
live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com