Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How to make live sand???

Can live sand be made in a LFS (or at home) by curing crushed coral or aragonite with live rock? Is this good to use or should you buy real live sand from the ocean?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sand will come live in time from your rock, But if you get some real live sand like a cup or two from a established tank will help. when sand is dead you may see more outbeaks of algae on the sand.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
steve-s

Be sure when aquiring sand from an establish tank you ask if copper or other "meds" have ever been used in the tank. There is a good possibility of contaminating your system. Also be sure you QT the sand for 6 weeks before you use it if from a system containing fish.

Do not use sand from the ocean unless it's away from populated areas and within the statutes of Canadian conservation laws. It can be a real risk especially in your case since it's a major shipping area and a cold water species population.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm guessing live rock and sand from our neck of the woods (Newfoundland) wouldn't be much good as most of the species living in it would be cold water species and would die in a tropical tank.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is live sand you see advertised in your lfs collected from the ocean, or is it crushed coral infused with live rock in a fish tank?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
steve-s

More commonly it's the stuff collected from the bins of LR curing tanks if truely "live sand". LS should be loaded with organisms/life, not just wet sand with bacteria. The stuff you find on the LFS shelf is primarily a wasted effort and money, it really amounts to nothing. If you wish to futher seed/introduce diversity to your tank, wait until after the initial cycle and add it after that. Any amount of LR will offer some additional life but you can also introduce microfauna quite easily and cost effectively.

http://ipsf.com

http://garf.org/algae2/janitor.html#grunge

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i'm also looking to make some live sand. i found this site here in a post. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv
i was thinking of getting a few pounds of rock pool crude and a couple bags of the fiji pink sand. would that be good?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Steve-s, you seem to know a thing or two about live sand. I'd like to have a good amount of live rock and live sand in my tank- the live rock is easy to come by, but good live sand is not. What would be the best way to begin my tank with good live sand? How do I add microfauna, especially for sand sifting fish like blennies?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by crook280
i'm also looking to make some live sand. i found this site here in a post. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv
i was thinking of getting a few pounds of rock pool crude and a couple bags of the fiji pink sand. would that be good?
Basically the same stuff I was refering to above, a few lbs should work just fine.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleParr
Steve-s, you seem to know a thing or two about live sand. I'd like to have a good amount of live rock and live sand in my tank- the live rock is easy to come by, but good live sand is not. What would be the best way to begin my tank with good live sand? How do I add microfauna,
To be completely honest, a major amount of microfauna will establish itself from the LR alone. The best use for this type of "fauna addition" is with tanks that use dead base rock, little in the way of LR or the populations cannot keep up with predation. On the latter, that can get pretty $$ and usually not keep up anyway. If using a good quantity of LR, the fauna kits are really not all that necessary. Doesn't mean you can't add diversity, just that it won't make or break your sytem without their addition. You'd be suprised what you'll find months, even years after the innitial cycle. I still find new things all the time.

Quote:
especially for sand sifting fish like blennies?
Be very careful on which of these species you choose. Many are quite difficult to feed and honestly damage the "ecosystem" of a healthy tank. They are also not good additions for smaller tanks. They can descimate a 50 gal tank in a few months. Many that do accept prepared foods will also not live their full life due to the lack of a natural diet. What you propose is not impossible by any means, just choose the species wisely, do alot of research before you purchase and be sure the tank is suitabley matured, large enough and ready for such an addition.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com