How to move an anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferny27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an anemone and it's been in one place for 3 months and now it moved . The problem is that it's burning all my corals . What's the best way to move him without ripping him apart and killing him

Unfortunately it is not advised to move an anemone, you can try and persuade it to move by pointing a powerhead at it and see if that works. If its been in the same spot for a while and just decided to move I would check why that is - any changes to the tank? Parameters stable?

I have an anemone and it's been in one place for 3 months and now it moved . The problem is that it's burning all my corals . What's the best way to move him without ripping him apart and killing him

My LFS showed me, but it's kind of hard to explain... But here goes: you need to find its foot, and starting at the edge of it, kind of "roll" the edge up. Keep doing this until the foot is no longer attached to what it currently was attached to.... Good luck. It's definitely doable. If it wasn't, then how do stores sell anemones without the rock or glass they are attached to...?

That is simply how to move it...BUT you need to understand that a nem will move to where it is comfortable...

Hi there

You could also try a small piece of ice And apply to the tip of the foot And gradually levering Until it comes free

Hi there

You could also try a small piece of ice And apply to the tip of the foot And gradually levering Until it comes free

+1 ice. Works best. anemone doest like cold so it will loosen its foot and make it easier to blow off with just a turkey baster without damaging the foot. Just put it in a ziplock bag so it doesn't contaminate your water when it melts.

I would seriously look at moving the corals rather than moving the nem. It will keep moving until it finds a spot that it likes and there's not really much you can do to change its mind once it decides to move.

+1 ice. Works best. anemone doest like cold so it will loosen its foot and make it easier to blow off with just a turkey baster without damaging the foot. Just put it in a ziplock bag so it doesn't contaminate your water when it melts.

a cube of ice isn't nearly large enough to contaminate a tank. I wouldn't worry about it.

a cube of ice isn't nearly large enough to contaminate a tank. I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe. I tend to use a bag of ice the few times I've done it. Plus the bag is easier to grip than an ice cube under water.

Back
Top Bottom