Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-24-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How to move an aquarium?

I am looking for some advice on how to go about moving a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium.

I have about 75lbs of live rock, a few corals, and 5 fish.

I will be moving in next winter, and want to start planning how to go about this, so any advice would be appreciated.

randalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I put my LR in buckets and sealed them, the water I moved in 39 gallon storage totes and more buckets. The fish would depend on what kind and what size they were. I've yet to have to move coral, but would suspect that you would be best to move them in large plastic bags much like you got them from your LFS.

Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Ximat
I have a 75g tank that i moved recently. I got a LOT of 5 gallon buckets, filled each with water then put fish in a few, coral in a few, and all my snails in one.

Then i took a 30g Rubbermade roughneck tub and put all my LR in it, filled it with the remaining water. Then put the sand in another 5g bucket.

This made everything easily moveable by 2 people.

Throughout this move nothing died
Ximat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
Start investing in 5 gallon buckets with tight fitting lids. You'll need enough buckets to accommodate the capacity of your tank plus a couple more just in case. Put rock and tank water or sand and tank water in each bucket. Fish and corals can go in seperate ziplock bags floating in the buckets. Seperate your sand into two buckets and top off each with water. A full bucket of sand and water gets heavy very fast. Most importantly move the tank completely empty.

I just got thru moving my tank to our new house about five miles from the old one. The tank move took about three hours start to finish. We had it well coordinated with the help of my son and a couple of friends. Nothing broke and all inhabitants are alive and well.

Good Luck!
* John *
46 gal Bowfront
36 inch Coralife 192 watt Lunar Aqualight with a 10K & Actinic
1 Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter
2 Hagen Aquaclear 802 Powerheads with Quick Filters
1 AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
1 200 watt Heater
52 pounds of Live Rock
2 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Ocelaris Clownfish
1 Hairy Mushroom Coral
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
8 Dwarf Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Margarita Snails
5 Cerith Snails
5 Bumblebee Snails
1 Queen Conch
johnd4g is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com