Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
How to place an Anemone

Here is a quick question . . .

I am thinking of getting an anemone several months down the road, and was wondering . . . how do you place them?

Do you put it on a piece of LR that I want it to live on? Will it reject that location? Will it attach to sand? Or, should I buy one already attached to rock? If I do that, isn't there going to be a large cycling process associated (since it is on rock) and therefore be stressed by the changes?

Any thoughts?

Todd

Old 07-17-2003, 02:51 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: How to place an Anemone

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwess
I am thinking of getting an anemone several months down the road, and was wondering . . . how do you place them?
To be honest you don't.

Picking the most likely place they may stay is not easy. Even if you do find some area that fits the "requirements", they will often move anyway

I am wondering if you could also provide a few details about your set up and the age of the tank. Anemones are extremely hard to care for and acclimate and should really be strongly considered before "leaping" into it. They are actually not even considered a reef animal.

Have you done much research or determined what type?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-17-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
As steve pointed out its really the anenome that pics the spot vs you picking it. If it does not like the spot you selected it will move. Do NOT move it back because it will just move again. Let it move around to find a place it enjoys.

Make sure it does not get up into any powerheads or water intakes. ALso if you have other corals make sure you clear a path as it will sting anything in its path to its new home.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Glad i found this thread i was wondering the same thing! So should you just place it on the substrate and let it wander?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:17 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooyferret
Glad i found this thread i was wondering the same thing! So should you just place it on the substrate and let it wander?
Pretty much the same answer. Place it in the tank where you hope it will settle but the chances are slim it will stay. As fishfreek pointed out before do nothing to impede it or try moving the anemone. That would cause damage to the anemone and most likely kill it.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-17-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Re: How to place an Anemone

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwess
To be honest you don't.

Picking the most likely place they may stay is not easy. Even if you do find some area that fits the "requirements", they will often move anyway

I am wondering if you could also provide a few details about your set up and the age of the tank. Anemones are extremely hard to care for and acclimate and should really be strongly considered before "leaping" into it. They are actually not even considered a reef animal.

Have you done much research or determined what type?

Cheers
Steve
Oh, goodness! I'm brand new - I am not even thinking of an anemone for quite a few months -- year at best. Was just wondering how they found their home.

Thanks for the great info, Steve!

Todd
Old 07-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #7

For example, I have a curly que anemone that decided one day that it would go from one end to the other 4', and stayed. It has been there for 3 months now. I also had a Condy that liked to ride the PH.( Can you say Shred?)

I have a Carpet Anemone that decided it was not happy with the base of the rock, so it climbed up the face to about half way and stopped. They will find the spot they like, and you will know when they do, because whether you like it or not, they will return if moved. Also, dont change your flow pattern much for too long, or they will be on the move again. I stopped fighting with the Condy incodent. I also, think they are good decorators, mine seemed to fill the right spots believe it or not...

Cheers

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com