Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard that chaeto doesn't have to move to do well, but it helps if it "tumbles." Here's a video of my setup where you can see the chaeto I have and what I'm talking about.

I can trim up my chaeto and put some of it in the overflows, but I was just curious if there was another type of macroalgae that would do better. I'm sure the chaeto would be fine.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Cheato is the best from my readings and experiences. Some people use strains of Caulerpa but it can very quickly over run a tank. With other macros you have to worry about it going sexual and sending spores and nasty stuff through your tank.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, after a week or so of tweaking everything, I finally have this "mini refugium" setup working. Here's a video and a picture:

YouTube - ‪Current 150G Fish Tank Setup‬‎

http://www.adamhorton.com/files/flog...minirefuge.jpg

Most of my issues came from the pipes making a gurgling noise. The solution is to make sure that the pipes aren't clogged at all, and it helped to have those notches in the top so that it was less likely to make an air-tight seal or have air bubbles when the flow decreased for whatever reason.

Tags
clean, filter, filters, mechanical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com