How to raise ph in RODI water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to dip my blue sided fairy wrasse because he has ich all over his body but when i tested my RODI water it reads at 7.00 ppm, my tank water reads at 8.4 so how could i raise my RODI water to a ph of 8.4? Will buffers work?
Thanks

You can use buffer and/or air line tubing for bubbles. Just make sure fish can still withstand the stress on fresh water dip before the QT. You can also acclimate on lower PH before the dip.

You can use buffer and/or air line tubing for bubbles. Just make sure fish can still withstand the stress on fresh water dip before the QT. You can also acclimate on lower PH before the dip.

Allimate on lower ph? What is that? And how would the air stone help the ph?

You can prepare a salt mix with less salinity and PH at same temp with DT. You need an air stone on fresh water for oxygenation and can also raise PH. Fresh water must also be at same temp as DT.

Why? I don't think the difference in pH is going to stress the fish, compared to the complete lack of salt that is the freshwater dip. RO/DI water will always have a pH of 7.0 if TDS is 0. After all the pH of pure water IS 7.0.

I would say its like being body slammed by Hulk Hogan again and again, and worrying that your shoe is untied.

Why? I don't think the difference in pH is going to stress the fish, compared to the complete lack of salt that is the freshwater dip. RO/DI water will always have a pH of 7.0 if TDS is 0. After all the pH of pure water IS 7.0.

I would say its like being body slammed by Hulk Hogan again and again, and worrying that your shoe is untied.

Yeah lol i decided not to dip it. Thanks anyway!

Here is a quote from the instruction below. I hope this clarifies why it needs to have same PH as your tank. The key word is "minimize" the stress and 3min dip is quite a considerable time for a sick fish.

"It is important to match the pH as closely as possible. This experience will be stressful on the livestock regardless, but it is best to minimize the difference in water conditions."

Adventures in obsolescence - How to do a marine fish freshwater dip for prophylaxis and as a treatment for ich

Back
Top Bottom