How to reduce lobster aggression!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Caribbean spiny lobster had killed 3 fish. A naso tang, a stingray, and a cleaner wrasse. Is it because he is hungry? I drop some pellet in for him from time to time. Should I feed him pellets every day? He doesn't bothers new fish. Is he trying to eat them? Will feeding him solve the problem?

If I put him in my fuge when I introduced a new fish for a couple days to a week would that help at all???? The fuge is 22x12".

It may, especially if you do a little rearranging when you add the fish. Take all his old territories away. If that doesn't work, you may want to think about setting up a tank just for him.

crister13 said:
Anyone know if this will help? I really want to add some fish!!!!!

Hey crister, my advice would be to remove the lobster. They are aggressive and obviously yours has demonstrated that well. I think what was said before holds true, fed or not it will get anything it can catch.

Im my eyes if it were my tank i would see the risk as too much. I mean im sure this lobster has already cost you close to a buck or 2 feeding it tangs and stingrays lol.

Im obviously sorry for your losses but i DO think you are in the position to prevent anymore.

Think about it this way, your lobster will outgrow your tank eventually (it will be a while) but you will have to rehome him eventually. Why not do it now an be able to enjoy differant fish? Just my reasoning

If I did the fuge thing would it help? Because all of the fish added before him he doesn't touch.....

Would it help? I want to keep him but want more fish....... Idk what to do........ I hate this. Do they usually one day kill every tank mate?

I actually may know what the problem is. 1. He is slightly aggressive, but really not that aggressive. The stress is what killed the stingray and the tang, because the tang only had 2 small holes and the stingray just a welt. 2. I DON'T feed him. Could that be it? I may start giving him a 1/3 of a shrimp every night wheat he's out hunting. I think he was trying I eat the tang; that's what it looked like atleast. Do you think this could be the reason? Also, this coupled with letting the fish set out a territory, could this work? As you can see, I LOVE MY LOBSTER!!!!!!

crister13 said:
I actually may know what the problem is. 1. He is slightly aggressive, but really not that aggressive. The stress is what killed the stingray and the tang, because the tang only had 2 small holes and the stingray just a welt. 2. I DON'T feed him. Could that be it? I may start giving him a 1/3 of a shrimp every night wheat he's out hunting. I think he was trying I eat the tang; that's what it looked like atleast. Do you think this could be the reason? Also, this coupled with letting the fish set out a territory, could this work? As you can see, I LOVE MY LOBSTER!!!!!!

You cant control wild behavior. Yes all thay may help, but its no guarantee. He could be peaceful the rest of his life. He could also kill everything he encounters.

Personally ive never owned anything that was a killer and turned out peaceful so im sorry to say i highly doubt that happening but it could.

You best bet is getting him his own dedicated tank but youll have to weigh the risks.

Setting up another tank isn't going to work. No money and no "yes" from the parents lol. I think what I'm going to do is when I get new fish I'll catch him and put him in fuge for a week or 2 so he gets used to it, then put him back in the dt. Also, il fee 1/3 shrimp every night. Also I'll only get fish bigger than him. Hopefully ~8". He doesn't bother anything put in the tank before him, so hopefully the fuge thing will work. If I see any aggression towards new fish, which I doubt because it will e a big puffer or something, hell go to te lfs. I'll monitor the tank for awhile also after putting him back into the tank from the sump. Hope this works!!!!! Fingers crossed!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom