Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How to remove and store live rock/sand for future use...

I recently purchased a new aquarium with original intentions of transferring everything over "live". Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way.

Basically I'm in the middle of moving. I have to shut down my old tank, but won't have the new one up and running for at least a few weeks.

So unfortunately I'm going to have to remove and store the rocks/sand, knowing this will kill it and I'll be starting from scratch.

How do I do this properly? I've heard of soaking the rocks in water and bleach to be sure to kill everything. Or, leaving them out in the sun. But, it's about 15 degrees here so that's not an option.

And how about the sand?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've read you can keep them in a garbage Pail with salt water and a circ pump and they will stay live!

Old 01-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelix10 View Post
I've read you can keep them in a garbage Pail with salt water and a circ pump and they will stay live!
+1 This is how I've been storing my extra live rock. Another option is to just get some 5g buckets with lids and stick them in there with water and lid them up. They won't be "live" when you finally get around to using them again but they will at least be cured.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've been thinking about doing something along those lines. So if I just keep them in a trash can with a power head that's all I have to do? Would I have to change the water at any point?

What about the sand? I'm guessing I could do the same?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher311 View Post
I've been thinking about doing something along those lines. So if I just keep them in a trash can with a power head that's all I have to do? Would I have to change the water at any point?

What about the sand? I'm guessing I could do the same?
If you want to keep the rock "live" you will have to feed it once or twice a week with some fish food. As for water changes *shrug* I don't know if its necessary but it couldn't hurt.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, get a food grade garbage can and just circulate. I would do a water change every other week, like 10% just to keep good levels but overall, you won't need to do much to keep them alive.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Use a heater to keep the temp regulated too.

Tags
live, live rock, move, rock, rocks, sand, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com