Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

how to remove phosphate

so my tank has been having alot of issues over the past year. i think it has old tank syndrome. one of which is the wall to wall algae i have. i tested phosphate in the water column and got 0.03 ppm but i asumed that was because the algae is eating it up. so i stuck a syringe in the 3" sand bed and tested that. 0.15 ppm. how do i remove the phosphate? i am already doing weekly water changes. im hesitant to try gfo as ive read it can harm corals and lower alkalinity, which i am already battling due to my sand bed becoming acidic. also i have some nice corals that are barely hangin in there do not want to risk losing. any help appreciated

Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

what's the size of the tank?
what livestock do you have in it?
how often you feed? and what do you feed?
what kind of light? and how long?
RO/DI water with 0TDS?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you don't want to go the chemical route then increased wc's with decreased feedings. You should also be monitoring your nitrate as that is also fuel for algae. Gfo works fine as long as you don't let it strip all the po4 from your system, you obviously have a good test for it so if you want to try it IMO it would work fine for you just stop using it when the algae is under control and po4 is below .03ppm. Wc's should keep you in check from there, just my $.02 though
Old 03-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
If you don't want to go the chemical route then increased wc's with decreased feedings. You should also be monitoring your nitrate as that is also fuel for algae. Gfo works fine as long as you don't let it strip all the po4 from your system, you obviously have a good test for it so if you want to try it IMO it would work fine for you just stop using it when the algae is under control and po4 is below .03ppm. Wc's should keep you in check from there, just my $.02 though

+1. Basically what I would have said.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

how to remove phosphate

any suggestions on what type and how to run gfo?
tank is about 5 years old, 25 gallon with 25 gallon sump, current live stock 1 6line wrasse, 2 serpent stars 1 cleaner shrimp, soft and lps corals, ecotech radion light, aquac remora hob skimmer, ro water, currently feeding brine shrimp3x per week but was just recently also feeding coral frenzy 2x per week. this is only its current setup. it has gone through many different phases with different livestock and filtration and maintenance schedules
Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A GFO reactors are pry the most efficient way to go. BulkReefSupply has them for about $50 with a pump to run them, I think.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

what is with all the warnings i read of lowering alk and harming corals?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Never read that, sorry.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

GFO can crash your alkalinity. Read my recent post on it. I prefer Phosguard and I list my reasons. But if you're already testing at 0.03ppm, you don't want it any lower. A old tank with acidity issues respondes well to a thorough cleaning and the occasional addition of baking soda or sodium carbonate (soda ash).
Old 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

how to remove phosphate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
GFO can crash your alkalinity. Read my recent post on it. I prefer Phosguard and I list my reasons. But if you're already testing at 0.03ppm, you don't want it any lower. A old tank with acidity issues respondes well to a thorough cleaning and the occasional addition of baking soda or sodium carbonate (soda ash).

Interesting, never had problems with phosphates. *Phosguard would probably work better, like you said.

*=edited

Tags
ate, move, phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com