How to remove Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambo1224

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 150 gal reef tank and the red algae is starting to accumulate. I'm pretty sure my phosphates are high so want to reduce that in the tank, I had used the Thrive liquid phosphate remover in the past, but that is no longer available. What do you recommend?

Phosban reactor. I throw seachem phosphate remover in a mesh bag with a small powerhead in it.

Before you do anything, get the water tested to make sure it is phosphates. Using ro/di water is the best way to manage phosphates along with avoiding flake or pellet foods.

Before you do anything, get the water tested to make sure it is phosphates. Using ro/di water is the best way to manage phosphates along with avoiding flake or pellet foods.

yes always test first then test 24 hrs after any changes you make

Has the cyano been there before? At the end of the day, cyano only thrives in low flow areas. Increasing the flow to that area can solve the issue as well, since it can consume small amounts of nitrates and phosphates from the water column. But the test results can shed some light on this, though not always more water changes is very rarely a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom