How to reproduce coralline algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canonxsi79

Aquarium Advice Activist
The more types of Coralline (green, pink, white, purple, red) that you add to your tank, the more you will see growing on your Live Rock, substrate and aquarium walls. Once you have some Coralline Algae in your tank, how do you get it to reproduce and spread throughout your tank? One simple method is to turn off all tank filters and skimmers, leaving any powerheads running. With a single edged razor blade, scrape the existing Coralline off the front and side tank walls. The water current generated by the powerhead will spread the Coralline scrapings throughout the tank where they will continue to grow. After an hour or so, turn the skimmers and filters back on.

Yeah many people do this but it will not make coralline grow faster. Proper stable parameters and sufficient light is all you need.

Never could understand the fascination with coralline algae yes it looks pretty but it is also a major pain in the ***. For no reason would i ever want to speed this up, it causes havok on pumps and glass, switches and probes.

It seems pretty but when it grows on everything and anything to the point it causes equipment to fail then you see it as the devil in disguise that it is lol.

Omg ik. I have green coralline that grows on my FRONT glass lol. I have to get a scraper and it's almost impossible to get off.

Finally after over a year and a half do to high phosphate I am starting to see coral line algae bloom

ForumRunner_20120623_101048.jpg

Schism said:
Yeah many people do this but it will not make coralline grow faster. Proper stable parameters and sufficient light is all you need.

Never could understand the fascination with coralline algae yes it looks pretty but it is also a major pain in the ***. For no reason would i ever want to speed this up, it causes havok on pumps and glass, switches and probes.

It seems pretty but when it grows on everything and anything to the point it causes equipment to fail then you see it as the devil in disguise that it is lol.

I agree, good water and lighting all you need , don't new to scrape flakes IMO. After I got a good light and got my water up to par, it's growing on everything now .... Intakes , glass , power heads .... Hasn't caused any failures yet but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Really with good water and lighting, all sorts of things will grow in on it's own , I just found two button polyps growing ^_^

Newfiereefer said:
I agree, good water and lighting all you need , don't new to scrape flakes IMO. After I got a good light and got my water up to par, it's growing on everything now .... Intakes , glass , power heads .... Hasn't caused any failures yet but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Really with good water and lighting, all sorts of things will grow in on it's own , I just found two button polyps growing ^_^

Its advised to clean any equipment every 3-6 months in a vinegar solution to dissolve and remove any coralline and calcium buildups, to prevent problems and improve efficiency. Its always worked great for me. Especially my skimmer that does get coralline inside due to it being a HOB and getting light.

Schism said:
Its advised to clean any equipment every 3-6 months in a vinegar solution to dissolve and remove any coralline and calcium buildups, to prevent problems and improve efficiency. Its always worked great for me. Especially my skimmer that does get coralline inside due to it being a HOB and getting light.

Thanks for the cleaning tip. I was wondering when I should clean my skimmer. How often do you do regular maintenance ?

Newfiereefer said:
Thanks for the cleaning tip. I was wondering when I should clean my skimmer. How often do you do regular maintenance ?

Regular as in?

If you mean water change etc then i do that weekly. If you mean cleaning equipment with vinegar etc then i do that about every 3 months or so, depending on how bad it needs it.

Schism said:
Regular as in?

If you mean water change etc then i do that weekly. If you mean cleaning equipment with vinegar etc then i do that about every 3 months or so, depending on how bad it needs it.

Internal parts cleaning. I clean my cup every week .... Stinky stuff :-(

Back
Top Bottom