How to run phosguard/purigen in a sumpless setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 20G nano would benefit from some phosguard (and possibly purigen) being run. However, as a nano, there is no sump/fuge. I have a HOB skimmer, and would prefer not to add back the old HOB filter for the media. Is there any way to run the 100mL pouches of these in the tank? (I'm going to assume just hanging them in the water won't do much good, either).

It needs water flow. Just hanging wont cut it. On such a small scale why the need for it if you have a skimmer and I take it you are doing PWC every week?

See my other post on algae issues (green cyano). If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears, but for now, I'm going to do another 20% change today and add phosguard, if I can find a good way.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did HOB for a while and I just wasn't satisfied. I went with a fuge best decision I ever made

You will need to fix the problem, not the symptoms. Are there too many nutrients in your tank? then feed less and/or reduce the bioload.

You will need to fix the problem, not the symptoms. Are there too many nutrients in your tank? then feed less and/or reduce the bioload.

He doesn't have much in his tank. I don't think feeding or a bioload is the problem

Not to hijack my own thread...Bioload and overfeeding aren't the problem. I think it's lighting and/or flow related. I've adjusted both. I also did a 100% change over 5 days last week, a 40% yesterday, and 30% today. The problem didnt appear until after the series of PWCs last week (which was done in response to a snail death in the rocks).

Not to hijack my own thread...Bioload and overfeeding aren't the problem. I think it's lighting and/or flow related. I've adjusted both. I also did a 100% change over 5 days last week, a 40% yesterday, and 30% today. The problem didnt appear until after the series of PWCs last week (which was done in response to a snail death in the rocks).

Not sure if you've checked, but maybe it's the PWCs? Has it been awhile since you've changed your RODI filters? Any idea what the TDS reading is of the water used in your PWCs?

Filters are good. Zero TDS.

Not looking to run phosban.

Regardless, I just stuck it in a HOB filter and it's doing it's job.

To expand on my prior post...

The 100mL pouch is the perfect fit for the HOB, and gets great flow. I was hoping to avoid a HOB in this tank, but between the Purigen and Phosguard, I'll resign myself to it. Plus, the added flow doesn't hurt.

Sounds good. I am thinking about doing the same sort of thing for the 35g reef that I'm setting up. I've got an HOB that 'a not being used...might as well give it a try.

The only thing I will caution you about with the HOB is to make sure you keep your tank topped off religiously. I keep mine a little above the "lip" of the HOB, so that water doesn't splash all over. This virtually eliminates salt creep.

Mine is a HOT Magum...the outlet can swing so it shoots downward. Hopefully that will work to avoid salt creep.

Back
Top Bottom