Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How to Semi-Perminatly fix a powerhead into place.

I want to fix a powerhead into my tank, but the succion cups won't hold to the glass for the life of me [ I made sure to scrape algea/slime off the area, and made sure the cups were clean ].

I want some way that I can attach it to the glass, and have it stay forever. But not to strong where It would be impossible to pop it off if I need to move or replace it.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking superglue gel, I recall discussion about it being used to attach corals to live rock, Would it a dab in each suction cup hold it onto the glass strongly?

Old 01-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a combination of the hangon attachment that came with mine and suction cups to suspend it in the corner, mid-way in the tank, and a directional attachment to flow....

...as far as suction.. its only so effective, and never permanent.

Superglue...? *curious as well*

Old 01-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

For Maxijets, I use the bracket that comes with the PH to hang it on the lip of the tank. If you don't have a canopy, this would be all you need. My canopy gets in the way so use a zip tie and a small plastic clip as well to secure it. When the suction cups fail, it just hangs loosely. This sometimes disturbs things but it is better than a sand storm. The maxijet bracket clip just butts up against the bottom of the black trim on the tank. I can take a pic if you like.

The clips I use are spare pieces from mini blinds. Acrylic is easily bent with a lighter though for small jobs.

HTH
Old 01-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I glue them to the larger algae scraping magnets, works quite well, but increases the profile. Another option is to suction it in place and the tighten the cord and use duct tape to tape the cord to the back of the tank, this relieves the pressure on the suction cups for having to hold the weight.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its a Minijet
Old 01-04-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the idea of using cable ties, and a little hook or eye-bolt in the canopy, just to prevent it from completely going down into the sand (which I just had the displeasure of dealing with on new years day).
Definitely need to setup something like that on my tank, and soon!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Use a long clear acrylic sheet, zip tie the power head to the acrylic and lean the acrylic sheet against the back wall at the desired location and the power head position can be adjusted veritically by moving it up or down on the acrylic.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have a canopy, just a glass hood.

and I really want something thats not going to be a eyesore :-\

No ones said anything about the superglu gel..
Old 01-05-2005, 01:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
i'd give the super glue a shot....
Old 01-05-2005, 01:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I drilled a hole in a magnetic scraper (a really small one), then zip tied the ph to the magnetic scraper. The only drawback is that it pushed the ph slightly more away from the back wall of the tank.

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com