Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

how to set up a frag tank?

I'm finding tons of information online about how to propogate corals but I can't find a good resource about how to set up a frag tank. I'm assuming that a 10 gallon tank would work, and it looks like most people make tiers out of eggcrate, but does a frag tank require filtration? What kind of lighting? How often do you need to do PWCs? I'm guessing it would have the same requirements as my main tank for flow and temperature.

If you have the answers or can point me to a good resource I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

EDIT: one more question - how do you feed a frag tank? and do most people have their frag tank tied into the main system or completely separate? okay, that was two questions.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes, you do need a filter and a protein skimmer, say you frag a few corals, a part of one dies and goes unseen and maybe gets lost somewhere, it will quickly deteriorate and rot. and small pieces that fall off of the frag will contribute to dirty water, along with feeding left overs.

here is a video that im sure you and many people will like who are interested in coral farming, because its a lucrative business, attempting to farm coral on a large scale for the experienced is a great way to get extra income.

YouTube - Coral Maternity in Portugal

Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right under my nose, an article about fragging:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...arm/Page1.html

The funny thing is I had to google to find it...I always forget about the articles on this site.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The easiest way to filter a frag system is to have it plumbed into you main system.

I have a 55g frag system that drains into my sump for my 120. This way I increase the total water volume of my system and I don't have to have additional filtration.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, Ziggy. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to tie the tank into my existing system. On the other side of the wall behind the tank is a closet where I put the chiller, and maybe I could put a frag tank in there (the stand below is full). Is it possible to drill a 10 or 20 gallon glass tank or would I have to do an overflow? My display tank isn't drilled and I always worry about the overflow failing.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would not recommend trying to drill a 10g tank. The glass is very thin. You will do better to get a 20g long tank or depending on your space get something bigger. You don't have to use a glass tank either. You could always just use a rubbermade tube/tote.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frag, set up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com