How to set up a QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Zebra Lionfish that has recently developed a cloudy eye. I need to set up a qt tank but never have I need advice. Can I use tap water or should I use RO. If I use a small HOB filter should I run carbon in it or not. things like that. I have had the lion for about 5 months and have never been able to ween him to prepared foods so I believe this is the root cause. Any suggestions would be great.

Amonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 5 Phosphates 0 Salinity 1.024 Temp 76 PH 8.3 FOWLR

I would use RO/DI water. Dont use tap.If you are not treating and just observing then yes GAC would be good. Just keep doing those water test and be ready to do some PWC`s if the ammonia and nitrite rise.

robow,

When I set up my QT, I'll use a 10 gal tank and use RO/DI water. The salinity for my display tank is normally 1.024 but in my QT, I'll start off with 1.019ish for about a week then down to about 1.015 or so for about another week (or longer if needed) and keep regular temp. Don't put anything in the tank such as LR or substrate. Leave the bottom bare. If you want to put a couple pieces of PVC pipes so the fish will feel protected, that's fine. Once the symptoms subside, then gradually increase the salinity again. I usually keep them in for at least three weeks or so. At least one week symptom free before returning to the display tank. Sometimes (for parasites) the lower salinity will be enough to treat the problem and you won't need medication. If you do use medication, don't use carbon. It will neutralize the medication and it won't work. I've also used a hang on filter (whisper) for filtration. If it comes with any filter cartridge, you can take the carbon out and put in an ammonia filter sponge (cut to fit) in the filter which will help with any ammonia build up too. I also do a 10% water change every week. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom