How to set up a QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silvabul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you need other than a 5 or 10 gallong tank. What type of filtration. How do you go about creating a QT tank to help cure a fish.

I would go with a 10 gallon tank, and just get a sponge filter and a cheap heater.

My hospital/quarantine tank is a 10 gallon with a Penguin mini biowheel. I always keep something in there so it always stays cycled.

http://www.toddwess.com/todd.html

Right now it is a quarantine tank with three clowns. They've been in there for 12 days and have a few more weeks to go before they go up to the main tank.

Todd

Ok if I put some media in the bottom of the tank from my Fluval 404 that I am pahzing out in my reef tank.. (THe little ceramic tube things) In the bottom of my new qt tank would that be ok?? I dont' have a QT tank set up so I have to buy everything today and that is not gonna give me the time to get the small filter cycled.. So since the point of those tubes is to grow the bacteria in like a Fish only tank and I am phazing them out anyway do you think that would work to avoid the cycle and allow me to get the tank up and going I have an ICHIY fish and I don't wanna lose them...

Doan

Yes, any media from the main tank will allow for a transfer of bacteria. Be sure the fluval has not stopped for any length of time though. The lack of O2 will in the canister will kill the bacteria. Also be sure to rinse the "rings" in SW removed from the main tank to remove any excess detritus that may be trapped in the rings. You do not want to add any organics that might hamper water quality. Do not use fresh water as it will kill the bacteria outright.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve no the filter is still running as we speak I took out some carbon last week and was gonna take out some more this weekend then go after the little ring things but now they seem to have a good purpose.. So I will go that route thanks Steve

Doan

Back
Top Bottom