Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
That’s not a very nice lfs owner with that kind of attitude I’ve dealt with the same lfs owner for 15 years and have spent a small fortune on fish and he is very accommodating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice2
Somewhat a hobby for masochists, is it not
Too true Guess you will getting a work out by taking up 20L at a time I’d recommend a strong pump but that would probably run you $2,000 8O

Old 04-12-2006, 04:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
I’d recommend a strong pump but that would probably run you $2,000 8O
Actually, I have a pretty mean pump I bought for moving water around the garden, I think its got about a 6m head and it only cost me $200. The problem is that it thrashes the water practically to foam, so I'd have to pump the RO up into a second barrel and let it settle before putting it in the tank. Plus I was warned that I better rinse the pump carefully or else it'd get wrecked by the salt.

Seawater really isn't a convenient thing to work with, is it?

Old 04-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I’d use that pump and a new clean hose even if it does thrash the water a bit. Salt at the sg we keep our tanks at shouldn’t have any long term affects on the pump. Just general maintenance on the pump every couple of months should keep it going for a long time.

Sure beats having to manually move all that water.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

You probably should run some FW through the pump when you're done pumping the SW up to the tank level.

Can you find another LFS or is there the possibility of mail order for your livestock?
You can certainly add 2 fish at a time once the tank has been running for a few months. You need to get the bacteria levels up and that takes time.

It sounds like you are on your way to a successful aquarium.

BTW, the best piece of advice I received here was "nothing good happens fast in a marine aquarium".
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
Can you find another LFS or is there the possibility of mail order for your livestock?
Regrettably, no and no. There are 2 LFS within driving distance:
A: the one I use, who custom-built my tank, provided a fair bit of advice and is pleasant to deal with, even if selling fish is his primary aim
B: another in nearby France which sold me the boxfish that brought cryptocaryon and killed my entire tank. To add to their sins, they persuaded my to buy two clowns rather than the single one I wanted, their fight to the death was as astonishing as unpleasant.
C: Nobody in the USA will ship outside the USA, nobody outside the USA will ship to private individuals unless you buy 100 fish, pre-paid.

Thus it's Hobson's choice, as I'm unlikely to go back to B eh?

Quote:
It sounds like you are on your way to a successful aquarium.
Thank you. Let's check back in 2007...

Quote:
BTW, the best piece of advice I received here was "nothing good happens fast in a marine aquarium".
Very much so, as I learnt at un-necessary cost and quite some grief.

@Beginners out there: Any advice you get from someone who has a vested interest in selling something to you is biased. I'll quote one example:

Me: That's a cute looking fish, what is it?
LFS: A psychedelic mandarin Sir, beautiful fish eh? (Sounds like that Monty Python parrot sketch)
Me: But how will it fare in a tank that's only 6 weeks old?
LFS: Oh, I have clients who keep mandarins all the time, easily (he omits to mention that their tanks are 8 years old)
Me: But will he eat XXX?
LFS: Oh, mandarins will eat anything that passes their way. Look: *throws YYY in the tank* see, they eat YYY!
Me: OK, I'll take one
- a month passes -
Me: That mandarin died, water parameters were perfect and i fed them XXX/YYY/ZZZ. How did it happen?
LFS: That's regrettable Sir, my other clients have no problems with them

You learn, the hard way, that the LFS knowingly omits to mention that if you don't have a large supply of pods (i.e. a refugium), a mandarin is more or less guaranteed to die from starvation, because the only thing they'll survive on is pods, no matter how tempting your flakes/lobster eggs/whatever might be.

The critical piece is that all the XXX/YYY/ZZZ have zero nutritional value to mandarins, even if they scoff them, which is why your new-mandarin-in-a-new-tank will certainly die.

Oh, and just in case, this is not a rant, I'm quoting from memory, hoping that it might provide useful advice :P

Tags
qt tank, setup, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com