How to spped up cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard u can put fish food in a cycling tank to speed things up. How often should I feed an empty tank. 20lbs of live rock and a hob skimmer is my filtration.

It will help feed your bacteria but basically the fish food will be the source of ammonia. If I were you I'd put a prawn in there and leave it until you can test water and have zero ammonia then your safe to add fish

Thanks mate, thing is I've had no nitrate spike or anything. I know I'm only in week two but I want to see this b4 I add anything. Do u know when u will get it?

Sorry misunderstanding put a dead prawn that you would eat in there. That will then provide the ammonia which your bacteria will start breaking into nitrite then nitrate which is your cycle.hope that makes sense but just let me know if not

Makes perfect sense. I can't get a prawn at the moment, so will fish food eventually do the trick? Thanks

Makes perfect sense. I can't get a prawn at the moment, so will fish food eventually do the trick? Thanks

Yes. Whether you use fish food or prawn/shrimp, if you could place it in a nylon bag or sock. It will still breakdown and it will make cleanup much easier.

I would also advise the raw shrimp, fish food (I assume you mean flakes?) is not the best type of food to feed anyways...

I did my first tank with fish food and flakes and second with shrimp both work tbh as all you need is something to break down in the tank

If ur LFS has Dr tims one and only, take a look it works wonders

Cheers just put some food in. How often should I feed it

Just throw in a few shrimps and leave them in there until ammonia & n02 read 0, and n03 has shown up.

Back
Top Bottom