How to start pods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a 3-5 gal HOB fuge on my 55 gal for several months. It has 2#-3# of rubble and some cheato that grows well. I don't see any pods. Do I need a starter colony? How do I get some going?

try doing a google search. I found a real good site with starters and theres this one site but i dont remember the name right now that has really cheap starters.

I have tons. The only thing that started mine was LR. Have you done the flashlight in the middle of the night trick? They hide and are hard to see sometimes during the day. If you have lr in your tank you should already have them.

Pods hide when it is light out. Get up one night after all lights has been out for a while and shine a flashlight in your tank, you should see pods darting everywhere.

If you can't get some sand from an established tank, ask your LFS for a couple of ounces of his sand. I've had to do that before.

Brenden said:
Pods hide when it is light out. Get up one night after all lights has been out for a while and shine a flashlight in your tank, you should see pods darting everywhere.

Hmmm...

Mine are plastered against the tank walls at all hours...

I typically come home from work to find atleast 1-200 of them scattered all across the front and side glass.

I've check in the middle of the night with a flashlight several times. I see nothing. I don't see any channels in the sand or anything. Tank seems healthly, except for a battle with hair algae, that I seem to be winning.

Other than that, no pods! My fuge, although small (3.5 gal I believe) was stocked with live sand, chaeto and rubble 4-5 months ago. I have at least 70# LR with good coralline growth. What's up?

Now, what I'm thinking is that most of my rock was dead when I cured it so it probably didn't carry in any pods. I've subsequently added about 15# cured and healthy LR over the months. Still nothing. :?

Mine all all over the walls of the tank too during the day. If you think that is a lot try the flashlight. Do not know what the difference is but some people do not see them out any in the day but do at night. Maybe it is that out populations are so dense.

Set up a tank with no predators and you will see pods all day long. Pods will prefer no light but I see all types of pods and mysis shrimp in my frag tank when the lights are on. There are no predators there though.

I my display where I have my mandarin and other fish, I never see pods. The mandarin is eating some thing though... Pods like rubble rock as well.

Would a couple of sally lightfoot crabs, a yellow tang, six-line wrasse, and the normal cleaners eat pods?

Back
Top Bottom