How to take corals off rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I plan on putting a Kenya tree coral in my tank within the next month or so and I just want to get as much info as I can. Say a piece of the coral comes off of the whole coral and it frags itself to an area of the tank that I don’t want it to, how do I take it off?

That will happen and you have to kill it or move the rock closer to where you want it.
To frag it all you need is a pair of scissors. It lives where ever it lands [invasive sometimes].

That will happen and you have to kill it or move the rock closer to where you want it.
To frag it all you need is a pair of scissors. It lives where ever it lands [invasive sometimes].

Would I be able to just pick it off? I could probably just take the rock out and take it off.

You might be able to pick it off or just keep trimming it sort of.
You can pull rock and blast it with H2O2 and that should kill it and do little harm.
You might be able to kill it targeting it with H2O2 in the tank. I did .

You might be able to pick it off or just keep trimming it sort of.
You can pull rock and blast it with H2O2 and that should kill it and do little harm.
You might be able to kill it targeting it with H2O2 in the tank. I did .

Would it let off any toxins if I were to just cut if off the rock while it’s in the water?

Would it let off any toxins if I were to just cut if off the rock while it’s in the water?

Just run a bunch of carbon after you do it. I’ve dragged my toadstool multiple times in tank and just stick some carbon in to deal with anything it releases after being dragged.

Just run a bunch of carbon after you do it. I’ve dragged my toadstool multiple times in tank and just stick some carbon in to deal with anything it releases after being dragged.

It won’t hurt my seahorses?

can I suggest maybe a crown leather or finger leather or a devils hand leather all 3 of these are not invasive like the kenya as it grows like a weed
Crown_ps.jpg
crown leather

Green Finger Leather_ps.jpg
finger leather

Devils_Hand_ps.jpg
devils hand

Last edited:
They will be fine with the horses.

Ok awesome!! Thanks for the advise. The tank is all cycled and I’m getting clownies to finish the cycle next week so hopefully I’ll get some corals within the next month or so!

Back
Top Bottom