How to tell if copepods are in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurplePolyp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a scooter blenny today and I can see him moving around and picking stuff up off the sand bed but I don't know if there are copepods in there. I added a couple bags about 4 months ago. Tank has been established about 12 months.

Well basically just looking on the glass. Introduce live brine shrimp and frozen foods to try to get it to eat frozen foods b/c they can wipe out a copepod population quickly.

A good way is to turn your lights off, get a flashlight, cover the lens with something red so it's very dim. Take a look into your tank. You should see them on the glass and sand bed. Like gnats or ants running around your tank.

Be careful they can chow down 2,000+ pods a day!! They pick and graze all day. Make sure you have plenty of pods and they are reproducing.

I am going to be adding a bag a week to just add more. My LFS said I should have a good population since I've added them into system and I have 120 pounds of live rock and have been adding phytoplankton to the tank.

I added 2,500 pods into my BC29 every other week for about 3 months. My tank was LOADED!! Still wasn't enough. You have a way bigger tank so you may have better luck.

If I ever did it again I'd get a tank raised one...

I forget where I read this but I herd 50 or 60lbs of live rock is a good estimate and your double that. Also if u have a fuge you could put a few pieces of rock in your tank from there and cycle those every week

I don't have a fuge set up. I don't really want to either. Hopefully there are plenty established in the tank and I can just add some every now and then to help replenish the ranks.

Back
Top Bottom