How to Tell if Coral has Too Much or Too Little Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had some zoas that didn't ever open under full light (120w LEDs) but didn't die or recede either. Finally moved them to partial shade and they are open all day now and multiplying,

You can start moving the leathers now if you like. They are more tolerant of change. Candy cane can be moved as well but just move that one up a little.

200 PAR at 24" is very strong. I would bet these corals weren't under that kind of light before you got them.
The candycane is not happy IMO.
Flow is also an issue. it doesn't look like you have very much.

The leathers are all swaying a lot. I have two 1500 Evo PH. And my return is a mag 9 on a split return.

mr_x - these were the candy cane corals that you commented on last week - they came totally broken. I epoxied them to a live rock. They are bright neon green in the center under the blues.

What should I do to make them happier? Please advise

ahh...gotcha...the reef putty.
They should look "fuller" IMO. Those white lines are the skeletal structure, and I feel the flesh is a bit sunken in. Have you attempted to feed them at night?
Don't get me wrong, they don't look close to death or anything, and I'm thinking it's the strong light which is keeping some of the polyps in.
Do the leathers open up in the evening?

They have not shown there tentacles at all.

The leathers seem to open up a bit further everyday, but the pictures are pretty much as far as they go - no flower like protrusions at all.

The devils hand is turning more and more yellow (everything was really brown when I got them) by the day and the "pimples" seem further out as well. I just hope it doesn't keep going to white.

The white stripes on the heads candy cane are almost all gone - is this the skeletal structure? Do I not want to see those stripes?

i can post more current images if you think it would help (love working from home on Fridays - lets me enjoy/stress over my tank)

Sure. I love looking at pictures!
btw, here's a perfect example. See the difference between the top left and the bottom right-
p-82326-candy-cane.jpg

Here are the pics of corals

Attachments

• DSC04956.jpg
    DSC04956.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC04957.jpg
    DSC04957.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC04958.jpg
    DSC04958.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC04959.jpg
    DSC04959.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 113
and some more:

Attachments

• DSC04961.jpg
    DSC04961.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC04962.jpg
    DSC04962.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC04963.jpg
    DSC04963.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 113
They don't look bad. I think everything looks like it's supposed to.

When can I expect the leathers to open up, and the candy cane to show tentacles?

Also can I move them to higher locations soon? They are all on substrate.

Thank you so much for all your help.

The candycanes let out sticky tentacles when the lights are out, or when there's food in the water column. I've noticed that that variation doesn't show very long tentacles like the white and green ones. The toadstool looks fine to me.
As for the others, I'm not sure. I would turn down the light a bit and see how that goes after a few days. It's a process of elimination.

Back
Top Bottom