How to Tell if Coral has Too Much or Too Little Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenzo9999

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey All,

Still very new to this and just started to add soft corals: Colt Cauliflower, Yellow Devil's Hand, Green Toadstool Mushroom. I also added Candy Cane.

I added them on Friday and they are all sitting on the substrate.

The Toadstool extends are like protrusions in the light, but the whole thing as brown as when I received it, and nothing coming out of the arms.

The Devil's Hand extends and contracts throughout the day as well as shows yellow pimples on and off, but no flower like extensions at all.

The Colt Cauliflower seems ok - maybe a little less purple, but if so only slightly.

The Candy Cane looks the same as it came - Brownish with white stripes - and neon green in the center. It has not shown any tentacles.

Does each of these need more or less light?

Tank:
90 Gallon
0 ppm Ammonia
0 ppm Nitrite
0 ppm Nitrate
0 ppm Phosphate
460 Calcium
8 dKH
1.026 g/L Salinity
80.0 F

Lights:
48 3W CREE LED

You could always google search each coral. Most sites like liveaquaria. Will tell you all conditions needed for each coral. What tgey feed on and give a pretty good description of them.

I have read up on each of the coral.

I am just still unfamiliar of the signs of too much/too little light (they seem very similar). As well as how long they need to be in a location to get a real assessment.

I have no reference point for placement in my tank, because I have never kept coral and these are new LED lights.

I was hoping someone with experience with some of these may be able to point out what I should be looking for to know if the coral is happy. I may be over concerned, just want the life in my tank to flourish.

Awesome - I will tonight as soon as I get home.

This is a rewarding, but stressful hobby. Especially when you want the best for your tank.

Thank you - for being here and offering help.

Browning can be an indication of not enough light while bleaching can be an indication of too much. But those changes can be indications of other parameters not right as well.
You show 0 nitrates and phosphates but do you have any algae growing?

Really only Coralline (bright purple) - starting in small patches on every one of my rocks.

Occasionally a thin film on the top of one of my rocks - but the snails some how sense it and take care of it that day. Weird how it is only on that one rock.

The only one I can comment on is the candy cane. Mine only extends the tentacles at night and on one head that faces down and does not get enough light. All the others show no tenticles even if I'm feeding brine or coral snow during the day

Pictures of the corals:

Colt Cauliflower Purple
Yellow Devil's Hand
Candy Cane
Green Toadstool Mushroom

Attachments

• DSC04941.jpg
    DSC04941.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC04942.jpg
    DSC04942.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC04943.jpg
    DSC04943.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC04944.jpg
    DSC04944.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 246
Here is the Yellow Devil's Hand when it shrinks after the lights dim.

Attachments

• DSC04945.jpg
    DSC04945.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 195
Use a turkey baster to blow the leather clean a thin clear layer should come off and it will be fine ...They do that when stressed or algae is growing on them...What kind of leds do you have ?

It's fine they close up at night and open when the lights are turned on. All your stuff looks good to me!!

So how long do I leave them at the substrate before I start moving them up in the tank?

My only thought is triple check your salinity.. I bought the glass floating hydrometer. My salinity was set at .025.. My Kenya trees were dark brown and not looking so hot.. Had a buddy come over to look. He brought his refractometer. And showed me my salinity was .032.. Took some water out added tap water til it was .026 on his refract.. And bam. The Kenya's came right back to life. So now I adjust so when my hydrometer reads .020. I feel I'm on the good til I can purchase a refracto.

Yeah - I have a Refractometer and I read between 1.025 and 1.026.

I have an auto top-off using RO/DI so everything stays constant. I also do a 10% PWC weekly.

Back
Top Bottom