How to tell if mantis shrimp still exists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

I felt that I had a mantis shrimp in my tank due to three fish mysteriously disapearing, clicking and stripped skeletons appearing in my tank.

All that's left in the tank is my orange tail damsel, and its been weeks since I've heard the clicking or another fish (the damsel) disapearing.

I've also put in traps for days on end without anything coming from it.

Is there any way to identify if the mantis is still there? I guess the obvious answer would be the clicking but I don't want to start to re-populate the tank if it's going to be chomped again.

Thx.

Hmm, that is tough. If you don't hear the clicking and your damsel is still there, there is a possibility he may have died. Did you ever see a molt? I really don't want to recomend this, but can you buy some snails or a clam from the grocery and see if they disappear? I'm not sure the clam from the grocery would work, but it would be more humane....Anyone else agree or have a better suggestion?

Well I did put in some broken bits of fish into the tank inside a trap, but nothing came of it. I haven't seen any molt either.

I'm thinking of removing the entire set of rocks and going through them one-by-one to see if I can find it.

It's very irritating not knowing if its in there because I want to add more fish to the tank.

Take out the rocks and dip them in carbonated water, I have heard this works great at getting them to come out of the rock.

Yeah I've heard that too.. at the expense of the other living organisms on the rock such as bacteria...

Have to seriously think about that. Thanks all the same. :)

angelscrx said:
Take out the rocks and dip them in carbonated water, I have heard this works great at getting them to come out of the rock.

Carbon/seltzer water can be bought at your grocer in the soda isle. I've tried carbon sw dips and all it did was pee off the mantis. He would click faster for it but never vacated the rock. I would QT the rock if that is a possibility and you know which rock it is in, and wait for the mantis to venture out. He will have to eventually in search for food. Then you can remove the rock or the mantis.

Yeah the problem I have is that if it's still in there, I'm not sure where it is located. I hear but cannot find it.

Back
Top Bottom