How to test...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Calcium! Purchased an API calcium test kit. Thing stayed pink up to 460. Then turned purple. After three more drops, it still stayed purple. Didn't go blue, decided to stop.

LFS told me I was low. Tank is 28g with 4 frags. I cannot figure out of I am doing the test right. Can someone either tell me or send me to an older thread where this is in layman terms. I am a bit slow to catch on so I need it simple ha.

I have that kit. Clean the test tube in the tank water, fill tube to line add ten drops of #1 shake tube for ten seconds then shake bottle #2 for ten seconds and add one drop at a time giving a shake after each drop, when it turns from pick to blue the test is done make sure you count the drops as you go and make sure the bottles are completely vertical when adding drops. you should be between 20 and 25 drops or 400 to 500 ppm.

Ok, yeah, mine never got to blue lol. How do you dose calcium. I bought "kent" calcium (liquid) for reef aquariums. It says add 1 teaspoon, but doesn't say how much based on results.

If you do regular water changes you shouldn't have to add calcium unless you have corals maybe. The salt mix should supply what you need.

Really? I guess I'm just over worried about potential water quality issues. Also plan on adding a 5th fish to the system. So I figured since it was close to being taxed out and all. I do appreciate your help!

Going to be honest and say that the API calcium test kit is total garbage. It is hard to read, duplicate results, and not very accurate. Your best bet would be to get a better test kit for Ca. Red sea and salifert come to mind as quality test kits.

If your tank is relatively new, your coraline will take time to grow. Just give it a bit.

AquaRick said:
Going to be honest and say that the API calcium test kit is total garbage. It is hard to read, duplicate results, and not very accurate. Your best bet would be to get a better test kit for Ca. Red sea and salifert come to mind as quality test kits.

If your tank is relatively new, your coraline will take time to grow. Just give it a bit.

I don't mind picking up another test kit. I read not so good reviews on the salifert kit. But honestly, it seems a lot of reviews are done by the incompetent. Lol. The tank has been running for approximately 1 year, however I've owned it for 1 month. I see purple and green streaks in the sand bed, but I think the previous owner may have taken all the coralline out to seed their new tank.

I've got a 28 gallon nano and I do 3 gallon water change every week. Haven't monitored calcium to much as I just got my first coral, but I will test this week with the same kit and post results. :)

Agreed with Rick. I find the API calcium and phosphate test to be too much effort and I'm never sure what the actual reading is. LOL

I use salifert tests and have not had any issues with it. The color change is noticeable and overall accurate. :)

As far as dosing calcium, I dont think with just 4 frags that it would be necessary as long as you are doing your water changes like you said. I dont even dose calcium in my 125g reef and its full of corals.

I'd get an accurate test kit and go from there. Calcium at 400+ should be fine.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom