Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2004, 02:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
I believe this is the exact product, http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=125402

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The inline GFCI would deffinitely protect you or your equipment. They have GFCI outlets that go right in the wall in place of the normal outlet as well. If you have a newer home, they usually have those kind in the bathroom and at least one in the kitchen near the sinks. They have the little reset button on them. If you are sitting in the tub and drop a hairdryer in, the GFCI outlet will trip so fast you may not even feel but a slight shock. GFCI outlets are always a good idea when using power around water. The expense is up to you.

Its important to note that even with a GFCI outlet, you might still feel a slight shock when you touch the water because there may not be any current flowing untill your body completes the path. If the GFCI doesnt trip when you touch the water, then the amount of current flowing when you feel the shock is minimal and probably not dangerous. If the GFCI does trip when you stick your finger in the water then you need to find out what piece of equipment is in contact with the water and causing the problem. Either way, as long as you arent "completing" the circuit by sticking your finger in the water your fish dont feel a thing. Check on that power head first. Then we'll see where to go next.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by youronlysin
Either way, as long as you arent "completing" the circuit by sticking your finger in the water your fish dont feel a thing. Check on that power head first. Then we'll see where to go next.
So you're saying that without my finger in the water, the fishs won't feel a thing? But does the equipment in the water leak out voltage that is creating a tank full of electricity?

Well anyways, I'm down to 1 Powerfilter and 1 Powerhead to keep the surface aggitated.

85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom

Lighting

(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
Old 07-20-2004, 03:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A good power strip is always recommended. Most power strips are "surge" supressors meaning, they will prevent any surges, or sudden electrical spikes from reaching whatever equipment is plugged into them. If they have a built in circuit breaker, even more the better. The circuit breaker will trip if any of your devices plugged into the strip try to draw too much current...i.e. you drop a light fixture into the tank or something. There is a difference between a GFCI outlet and a circuit breaker however, as a circuit breaker would only trip if something were to draw at least as much current as the breaker was rated for. Most power strips are rated at around 15 Amps. Thats a lot of current. The GFCI will trip when differences in current are in the milli-amp range and they also trip in a matter of micro-seconds. You could get quite a jolt before a circuit breaker tripped whereas, you may not feel a thing if you had a GFCI outlet installed.

GFCI outlets protect you. Circuit breakers protect the electrical system from overloads (too many devices turned on at the same time). Surge protectors protect whatever equipment is plugged into them.

Old 07-20-2004, 03:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, Well I checked under the powerstrip and it is a "surge suppressor" It also states that its not meant for aquarium use. Speaking of lighting dropping into the tank, that happened to me 2 weeks ago. Could that have caused a problem with out equipments?

85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom

Lighting

(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
Old 07-20-2004, 03:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luntiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by youronlysin
Either way, as long as you arent "completing" the circuit by sticking your finger in the water your fish dont feel a thing. Check on that power head first. Then we'll see where to go next.
So you're saying that without my finger in the water, the fishs won't feel a thing? But does the equipment in the water leak out voltage that is creating a tank full of electricity?

Well anyways, I'm down to 1 Powerfilter and 1 Powerhead to keep the surface aggitated.

Yes. Thats what Im saying. The equipment in the tank could very well be doing this. But without a way for any current to get to ground, then your fish wont feel a thing.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

unless the lighting is still in the tank 8O it shouldnt be causing any problem. Whatever is creating the voltage potential would have to be in direct contact with the water if you can feel it when you stick your finger in.

Old 07-20-2004, 03:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can you feel a constant sensation as long as your finger is in the water, or is it just a quick zap and then nothing else?

Old 07-20-2004, 03:27 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think its a constant sensation, not really sure, but I know that after I take my hand out of the tank, my fingers feel...numb...or something, can't explain. I always thought it was because I was grabbing the rocks so much that the rocks were cutting my fingers. I will have to check tomorrow.

Currently running my Powerfilter and 1 Powerhead and my Moonlights. Hopefully I unplugged the equipment causing the problem.

Off to bed I go, hope you as quick to answer my questions tomorrow. Thanks for taking your time this evening to answer my questions and provide a lot of information (althought 1/3 of it I didnt really understand)

85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom

Lighting

(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
Old 07-20-2004, 03:30 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No problem! Its hard to explain electrical problems sometimes, sorry for that. Tomorrow, try unplugging equipment one piece at a time and see if you can notice if the shocking quits. You should be able to find the faulty equipment that way...if it truly is the equipment that is causing this. Good luck!

Tags
test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com